PDA

View Full Version : double trouble

Beldaran
03-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Earlier this year my dad grabbed a 233mzH pentium with 128 mb RAM from the Boeing surplus and gave it to my sister. She was redecorating her room yesterday and decided that the computer didn't go with her decor. She then gave it to me.

Well, I took it apart, did some fiddling, installed a cheap ass network card and, short story even shorter, I now have two computers side by side on my desk, both networked to each other, and both connected to the internet via DSL connection.

This is so handy. Now when I am programming for my Java class, I can write code on one computer and have the other computer connected to Sun Microsystem's website so I can look at the swing libraries and what not. Same with MSDN when doing C++.

Also, if I am playing Medal of Honor or Counter Strike on my main computer, I can play MP3's and chat with people on the other one.

Plus, it's sweet having two computers right next to each other, and it further enhances the "techie" look/feel of my room.

Anyway, I'm posting from the little pentium right now.^_^

Verman
03-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Dude....your cool and all but...

GODDAMN YOUR A NERD ;)

Hey at least your happy...Im thinking about buying a 21" monitor from my work...they have them for sale for 299 canadian....

that would go awsome with my laptop ;) course all i use is messenger and winamp so i really dont need a massive screen

Paradox
03-06-2003, 04:35 PM
heh, you could just set up a CS dedicated server on one of your computers and play it on the other one.

AlexMax
03-06-2003, 04:41 PM
No he's not. A real nerd would have bought more computers from a surplus store and built a Linux Beowulf cluster out of them. "Look ma, I can compile faster than you can boot windows!"

But what the hell do I know, I'm a Linux lackey. :P

Beldaran
03-06-2003, 04:55 PM
eh, using linux makes you cool just like wearing burkenstocks makes you insightful.;)

Just picked up a little 133mzh pentium for free. I'm taking the guts out and rebuilding it to be a server. It will run windows 2000 because I already have a copy and already know how to use it.

mikeron
03-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Verman
GODDAMN YOUR A NERD ;)Exactly my reaction. I like the idea of a separate chat box though. :blah:

Ich
03-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Oh boy... I've got a PI 75mHz on my left with 95, a PII 233mHz on my right running RedHat 8, and a PII 400mHz in front of me. And a modem connection. I hope you're happy, you bastard.

gdorf
03-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I have the same thing (but with a p166 instead of a 233), but I haven't borthered with it really since we don't have any more ports on our router. Its a same, a second computer would come quite in handy.

slothman
03-06-2003, 10:07 PM
"She was redecorating her room yesterday and decided that the computer didn't go with her decor."
Has she already had a computer? If not does that mean she could have had one but gave it up. So she puts "decor" above a free computer. That's an anti-nerd.

Beldaran
03-06-2003, 10:25 PM
She's a total anti-nerd. She's into clothing and stuff. I like computers.

Rijuhn
03-06-2003, 11:45 PM
I have a 1.6GHz and I still think I need a faster one. I don't see how a PII 233MHz has any power to run anything, well to my liking. Could you give me some other specs so I can get a feel for what it's overall performance is? Thanks.

Beldaran
03-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
I have a 1.6GHz and I still think I need a faster one. I don't see how a PII 233MHz has any power to run anything, well to my liking. Could you give me some other specs so I can get a feel for what it's overall performance is? Thanks.

Well, I basically just run MS Word and the Internet on it, so it does a fine job. I use my regular comp to play games and what not.

It is a 233mzh with 128mb RAM, a 3Com network card, a cheapo CDROM, and that's about it.:)

The Savior
03-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Old computers have enough power to run more than you think. I was playing Half-Life on a 233MHz Pentium with 48 megs of RAM and a 2 meg video card for about a year. Granted, it was in 430x300 software, but it was fun.

Rijuhn
03-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I've gotten so used to 1GHz and up that I think anything less is slow, but it really isn't. I'm still surprised everytime my dad boots up his P1 133MHz PC, lol.

gdorf
03-08-2003, 12:09 AM
My p166 has a Geforce 4 mx. Its pci, of course, but it still helps out some for games. :)