PDA

View Full Version : Buy this game, now, I mean it...

KingArthur
03-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Freelancer, buy it, yes, it kicks heiny.

Ok, that may not be enough to sway you into spending $50 on a game you may know knothing about, so here it goes...

Freelancer is an open ended space tradin/combat/whateverthehellyoufeellike game that is very simillar to games such as Elite and Privateer, but wait! There is amain quest! However, unlike Morrowind, playing the main quest is required to do everything in the game, you need to level up to be qualified to get more powerful ships and weapons, but dont worry, there is plenty to do after it is finished, i.e. whatever you want. Think of it as kinda Earth and Beyond, only with REAL space combat.

Yes, the piloting is ALL done with the keyboard and mouse in a 3rd person perspective, "HERESY!" I hear some of you cry, but not to worry, the game has the most perfect control scheme, allowing all the freedoms that a traditional setup.

Multiplayer, while the game box says you can have only 16 people in a game, it can theoretically host up to 128 people on a single server at once, but that get real slow, even on a T1, so 32 is the recommended maximum. Multiplayer is set-up like an MMORPG, with your character being specific to the server, but once you are in the game you can do WHATEVER you want, you wanna do missions? fine, you wanna be a pirate and raid other players trading routes? Peachy, you wanna join the bandits in an assault against a liberty battleship? thats cool too.

so yes, BUY IT! BUY IT NOW!!!

Blonde799
03-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Um, no.:p It's bad enough my brother spends an uneccesary amount of time on Dark Age of Camelot.:laughing:

KingArthur
03-05-2003, 03:27 AM
See, the nice thing about this game is that the online play is FREE, unlike those crappy MMORPGs, besides, if he's addicted to DAOC, he wont get addicted to this, DAOC and EQ are like crack, lol

KINGOFALLME2
03-05-2003, 12:46 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOO! I love the name Freelancer.....but i don't have any cash right now.

AlexMax
03-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Woo! This might be worth looking into... I find the best games usually are on hot tips from other people, and games no one have ever heard of.

KingArthur
03-05-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm suprised not many people have heard of it, especially because its being published by Microsoft, and they usually market thier games alot, and yes, if you loved Privateer and the Elite series, you WILL love this.

VashdeStampedo!
03-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Is this like the Mac-only game Nova (escape velocity nova and some others)? Because those look good, too, and sound similar.

KingArthur
03-05-2003, 10:12 PM
From what I hers its very similar, although I dont have a mac so I'v never played EV

VashdeStampedo!
03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah, same here, but it's coming out for Windows soon. I've heard of Freelance before, but I thout it was a dumb GTA or Hitman ripoff or something (kinda sounds like it, you know?).

Myth
03-06-2003, 11:23 AM
hitman 2 sucked ass =/ ps2 ruined it, fps should only be released on PC format.

DAoC is pretty sweet, but had to get rid of it cos it truely was as addictive as crack ..

SDA inc.
03-08-2003, 07:06 PM
i don't know bout this game i look kinf of gay but anoth thing is i don't have ne money

VashdeStampedo!
03-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by SDA inc.
i look kinf of gay
That's off topic.

Seriously though, it looks good. I checked it out, looks nice.

deathbyhokie
03-09-2003, 05:06 PM
yeah, i noticed this the other day in EB and hoped someone else had gotten it. with the main quest thing, are you vasically just running merchandise for a company? do you get a choice of what you want to run(like honest transport vs. smuggling)

KingArthur
03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
The main quest thing is mostly combat missions from what I can tell, I play online mode anyway, so I dont worry about it much.

LordMagus
03-09-2003, 09:52 PM
I have the trial version. It's pretty cool. I like the controls and the combats. You can download the trial version here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3abcb3a-4522-44f2-a7ea-b19d82313475&DisplayLang=en).

deathbyhokie
03-10-2003, 12:54 AM
yeah i've been playing the trial too. it's amazing how pissed people get when you start shooting at them

VashdeStampedo!
03-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by deathbyhokie
yeah i've been playing the trial too. it's amazing how pissed people get when you start shooting at them
Just like real life. Damned oversensitive punks.

I'm downloading the trial now, looks good.