PDA

View Full Version : Semi-broken SFA2 SNES ROM...

Kairyu
03-04-2003, 04:34 PM
(This isn't a rom request. It's a request about a rom which I don't need a link to... so please don't post one and get yourself banned.)

I dunno if many people know it, but it seems that the only Street Fighter Alpha 2 SNES ROM around is... um, "graphically ****ed up". It's fully playable otherwise, it's just a little hard to use Romview on it, and seeing life bars/timers/power bars gets a little tricky...

A bit of searching found me a file from a place called "DeJap" or something.... it has a .DAT and a .IPX file in a zip, with a readme which (As far as I can tell) doesn't tell you what to do to fix the image files. Sooo... I'm trying to figure out how to fix a Street Fighter Alpha 3 .SMC file using either or both a .DAT file and a .IPX file, for use with ZSNES Windows version.... uh, the most recent version that doesn't use Direct X 8.0...

Any help, or is it a lost cause?

Thunderbird
03-04-2003, 07:14 PM
SFA2 uses SDD compression, which no emulators actually support. You need the graphics pack (if one exists) for it. The same goes with Star Ocean.

LordMagus
03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
The .idx and .dat from DeJap are the graphics pack. You may need to patch the .dat or .idx file to the rom. To can get a patching program at Zophar's Domain (http://www.zophar.net).

MottZilla
03-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Just goto dejap's site ans download the SFA2 graphics packs. You put them in your SRM save directory in a folder called SDD1SFA2 or something. It will tell you in the file download.

And yes, there IS a Street Fighter Alpha 2 graphics pack, although... why would you want to play SFA2 on SNES when you could get the SFA2 arcade romset much easier, and the sound quality and graphical quality is so superior.

Gerudo
03-05-2003, 05:44 PM
that is correct, Mott... i used to collect them (arcade roms) a while ago, but they took up too much space... if you are smart, you know where to look...

but yea, SFA2 was awesome, but like Mott said, just get the arcade roms...

MottZilla
03-05-2003, 05:47 PM
I would also advise getting an emulator like FinalBurn Alpha or Nebula. MAME is much slower compared to the others.

Also, there are better games than SFA2, like Marvel Vs. Capcom, SFA3, etc. I found SFA2 to be just a little stepping stone to keep you going till you get to SFA3.

Kairyu
03-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, all I wanted to get it working for was so that I could use Romview, really...

MottZilla
03-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Use RomView on the graphics pack file. The uncompressed graphics are in it.

Kairyu
03-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Last time I tried that, it shut down on me... I'll give it another try, though.

MottZilla
03-07-2003, 04:12 PM
All I could suggest is using ZSNES and taking screenshots instead. That or using a Rom Tile Editor like TilED or that other one I forget but its the same thing really.