PDA

View Full Version : a couple of problems...

firebug
03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
all right, im having a little trouble with my warps... ive got my intro set up so that you get the wooden sword at the end of it... i made a room that looks exactly like screen 80, with the fires on either side and my guy tile in the middle with cave warps underneath (screen 81). i got the warp set to another room that looks exactly like screen 80 with all of the intro dialogue and so forth (a guy room this time, not just with added tiles). i set 4 cave warps all around link so he has no choice but to warp when all my linked strings are done, to yet ANOTHER room like scr 80 (a guy room) where link gets the sword, and i set some cave tiles at the entrance linked to the correct room in the overworld. it all works fine except when link moves thru the two middle warps.. i cant figure out how to set it up so that link doesnt move at all (instead of the one tile he would to step onto the cave warp). and also the warps themselves are all 'cool warp' id like to set the middle two so that you cant tell theres been a warp at all.. i know im probably missing some tiny insignificant detail here but pls, any help would be much appreciated!
... on another note.. ive got pretty much all of my maps as dungeon maps (so that my overworlds can have maps.. or at least *some* of them ;) ) so far im not having any problems but i was just wondering how this would affect gameplay...
thanx much!

alsooooo... whenever i set an intro on a Dmap it scrolls the intro when you enter, but link freezes up and i cant move him... hmmmmm:confuse2:

TheGeepster
03-04-2003, 11:55 PM
Instawarp without any effect between identical screens is what you want for no visible sign of warp.

I don't know if this will work properly, but an idea which might make moving unnecessary is this: To set timed warp tics to 1 or 2 tics. I'm told that timed warps use the screen warp settings, but you can set up the tile warp as well just in case.

firebug
03-05-2003, 10:01 PM
ok, i got to be doing something wrong here... it worked all right at first, but when i put in your ideas geepa, it got really wierd... once link walked into the room with the right guy, but the wrong message string, and no timed warp happened... a couple of times link walked into a completely empty room, no string, no guy, no warps. i tried setting the room type and string(s) on the room with the initial cave tile in it (like AD's tutorial explains how to do for cave rooms) but that didnt work... i tried setting them up in the actual cave rooms themselves, and that didnt work either... i even tried putting it back exactly like i had it, but i cant seem to figure it out :( im not using screen 80 for these, and my initial 'overworld' is actually a dungeon map, could that be the problem?
im laughing at myself now because this seems like a whole lot of trouble just to make the sword appear at the end of the string...
*sigh* thanks a lot for all the help you guys, even with the tutorial and all the reading of posts here, i can still get fully confused by this program lol

TheGeepster
03-06-2003, 01:54 AM
Hmmm. Let me play with it and see what I can come up with. It may work better with a slightly higher timed tic. Maybe 30 or 60 would be less glitchy.

Just so I get this right, you walk into the cave, you see the guy tile just sitting there. You walk up to it and are cool-warped to screen 2, an info screen set up for the purpose. After the string, you would be cool-warped to screen 3, where you get the sword.

I'll let you know how it goes.

firebug
03-06-2003, 12:07 PM
thanks a lot geep, just for your info.. there should be a string in the first room that says something like: come closer or whatnot, and not a cool warp... i want that one to be 'hidden' as well. instawarp or whatnot, so that the player only sees: come closer whn they enter the screen, and the rest of the strings start auto when they step onto the tile. that way if they accidentally enter the screen again, they arent forced to go thru the intro. thanks a lot for the help geep!

TheGeepster
03-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Well, I did some experimenting with a setup like this and found out something. Strings do not pause timed warp timers. So it isn't feasible to use linked strings on a timed warp map. What you can do however, with room with only a single string is to figure out how many tics it takes to display the message by trial and error, and add a few tics in to be sure the player has enough time to read it.

So you have pits/stairs set up in the first cave, and set up the tile warps options to send the second cave. The second cave is set up with a screen and a side warp. You could optionally include combos identical to the normal floor tiles in appearance, but they would hinder any movement. Set up a side warp for the item screen, and make sure the timing of the warp (Screen Flags) is about the time it takes for the string to display out. The item screen would of course be normal.

firebug
03-07-2003, 08:11 PM
thanks a lot geepa, ill test it out and see how it works :)