PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Kry
03-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Is there any way to get build 182 to work in RedHat Linux 8.0?
If anyone can, PLEASE HELP!!!

EDIT: Also if it helps, its a 2 Gigabyte Hard Drive... Hopefully I can get a better one soon...

System Error
03-02-2003, 03:27 PM
It won't work on Linux, sorry...

adventrole
03-02-2003, 04:10 PM
There are mentions of linux developments in the future. I'm still waiting for news on it. been almost a year now.

MottZilla
03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
You could use a program like Wine to emulate the windows executable through linux I think.

System Error
03-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but there'd be some pretty massive slowdown.

MottZilla
03-02-2003, 05:48 PM
That depends on your system, and actually I've never heard of emulating windows games in linux being cpu intensive, likely it'd be just like running it on windows, perhaps alittle less performance.

vegeta1215
03-03-2003, 02:07 AM
I'm waiting for a Linux port too.

My friend knows alot about Wine. I'll have to send him a link to the latest Windows beta so he can try it out and see if it works. If it does...oh man :)

MottZilla
03-03-2003, 06:32 PM
It should. ZC doesn't use anything odd or off the wall really. Just allegro.

Thad_X_Boyd
03-04-2003, 12:50 AM
I've managed to get the latest Windows beta (182) running under Wine. It doesn't get along with my resolution (more on that later), so I have to run it in a ridiculously tiny window, but it works. Sound effects work, MIDIs don't, and, contrary to System Error's slowdown theory, it actually runs ENTIRELY TOO FAST.

The speed issue isn't a problem in ZQuest, however, and it would be perfectly usable (minus MIDIs) if only I could get the resolution right.

The problem I'm having with resolution is that the programs change my resolution and then center my desktop. This would work fine in MS-Windows, but in X, this means that I have my ZC window in the upper left-hand corner and my screen in the middle. I can't seem to move the ZC window to the middle of the desktop, so if I want to use it I have to stick with my typical 1600x1200 resolution -- and you can imagine what a ZC window looks like in the upper left-hand corner of a 1600x1200 desktop. I suppose I could just start X in a low resolution any time I wanted to play with ZC, but that makes multitasking ridiculously inconvenient.

EDIT 1: Pulled up the "command line options" thread. Turns out I can take care of the resolution issue by running it with the -windowed flag and changing my resolution manually. Zelda itself still runs too fast to be playable, but now I can use ZQuest in Linux just swimmingly. Boffo.

EDIT 2: Damn; on closer inspection, while using -windowed fixes my display issues, it cripples my mouse. I'll let you know if I find a fix.

EDIT 3: Bleah, this is embarrassing. Missed the "res" option the first time I looked at the list of command line options; going to futz around with that tomorrow. But in the meantime, it's 1:15AM, so goodnight everybody.

Thad_X_Boyd
03-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Pardon the double-post, but since this IS new information...

Beta 183 of the player actually runs at speed under Wine. Woohoo!

MottZilla
03-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Beta 182 had a lower compatability rate with it's VSync code, thus the reason 183 works is because DN changed the code back after the new code yeilded bad results.