PDA

View Full Version : Flipen XP is being stupid (Does that surprize anyone?)

DeathLink
03-01-2003, 10:21 PM
ok heres the deal. my little sister (4) was playing on the computer whilst i was gone. then it restarted then it wants me to put in a log in name a password (it wasnt like that before) i dont know if it was her or not tho, but i cant get on at all because i dont know what the password is! is there anyway to get logged in w/out a password? i really need to get on it!! any help will be appriceated!

Beldaran
03-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Sounds like the problem exists between the chair and the monitor, and not with XP.;)

Sorry can't help you.

DeathLink
03-01-2003, 10:26 PM
thats not funny ;)
thanx anyway

zora man
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
What model computer do you have?
If you have a dell 4500s series there is a wire you can unplug to erase the password.
To find out which wire to pull look in the instruction manuel.
If you don't have the 4500s series don't start pullen wires it wont work.

DeathLink
03-01-2003, 10:28 PM
nope dont, i have a computer my brother made, so yeah

Mander
03-02-2003, 12:35 AM
you should be able to log on to xp without a password. Try just clicking okay and see what happens. I think xp is set up for users to password their preferences.

SiliconHero
03-02-2003, 01:13 AM
If that doesn't work, you might just want to click the "Cancel" key. That happened to me one time on my other computer (that uses Win98).

MottZilla
03-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Windows XP's logon isn't optional. There is a sort of forgotten password thing you can try, and also I believe there is a disk of some sort you can use to get logged on without the password.

obi
03-02-2003, 03:21 AM
When you install windows, if yu give a master account password, then it will ask for a disk to use in emergencies that you can use t log in, and the disk has to be recreated from the user profiles when the password is changed for it to be still useable but you have to be logged into that machine to be able to create the disk.
You can set *nothing* as your password though. And you can get programs like Powertoys for windows XP (the "tweak ui" series) that enable the auto logon feature, but you also have to be logged on for that to work.

i dont know if it was her or not tho
Someone may have activated the password to stop her from changing the seetings :shrug:

goKi
03-02-2003, 05:19 AM
If you are running XP home, boot into safe mode, and either use the administrator password, or create it. then delete the password to the account that was set one.

Gerudo
03-03-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Sounds like the problem exists between the chair and the monitor, and not with XP.;) my thoughts exactly... XP cant be stupid unless the computer operator is being.. well, you know...

a computer is only as smart as the person operating it... when you people say stuff like XP sucks, well what did you do at the time to make it suck? ive been using a pirated XP for almost a year now... and its never given me grief that i didnt cause in the first place...

Axel
03-03-2003, 08:56 AM
nope, never had a problem like that.
sometimes it freezes for no apparent reason (classic Windows problem) but when you restart it fails to load XP, I solve that by turning off the power from the surge protector then turning it back on. never fails.

Verman
03-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Deathlink try what Mander said....just hit okay with a blank password.....

If that doesnt work beat your sister until she tells you what the password is :P XP wont suddenly turn on the password because she is doing something to the computer....

oh yes zoraman...that idea would work fine if it was the bios that was asking for the password, but its XP asking for it...