PDA

View Full Version : What is the penalty for TREASON!!?!?!

AlexMax
02-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Yep, Microsoft is above the law once again.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-990526.html

Yep, Microsoft is sharing source code of Windows with China. Of all the countries to share it with.

Even after...

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-990526.html

..less than a year ago, a senior Microsoft executive said under oath that revealing the code would damage national security.

But of course, thats a bunch of bullshit. Microsoft is simply trying to overtake Linux overseas by alleviating the concerns of closed source. Still, the exectuive was under oath, and that's what I call TREASON!

And of course, they'll get away scott free.

Paradox
02-28-2003, 10:11 PM
someone should just make an OS without restrictions. i'd gladly take a simple OS i can trust that has less features over MiCrOsOfT any day.

AlexMax
02-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Erm...like Linux?

Ich
02-28-2003, 10:31 PM
I should create my own OS to use on my computer. Although it would require a vast investment of time, I could know everything about it, and nobody else would try to hack (or be able to hack) me.

The Chinese government had a preference for Linux, and they're switching to Windows? I thought communists were opposed to big business. Also, Windows is more expensive, less reliable, and only has the benifit of being user friendly enough to sucker the idiots in, and never let them leave through incompatibility. We then are forced to be reduced to the least common denominator: Windows. I don't think that China will keep Windows for too long though

FuckMicrosoft.com (http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com) has a list of alternatives to windows, and a list of problems with Microsoft. I think I'll put it in my sig so I don't have to advertise.

Paradox
02-28-2003, 10:32 PM
linux would be good. the only thing i don't want to give up are my games. EVERYTHING is microsoft for games. it's a necessary evil.

Saffith
02-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Well, it's only treason if the guy wasn't lying, and it really would be a threat to national security. Much more likely they were just saying that because they didn't feel like giving out their code right then...

System Error
02-28-2003, 11:11 PM
I heard the Chinese are responsible for many of the computer viruses out there. Mainly because they want YOU to buy THEIR shit, as if they already had enough SHIT. Bill Gates is making a major mistake, he doesn't know what the Chinese may do with that info. Massive worm bombs could appear soon enough.

TheGeepster
02-28-2003, 11:40 PM
I just wanted to point out that treason is a very specific, very difficult to prove charge. This was mostly due to its abuse by the powers that were in Britain during the time of the American Revolution (and treason was used as a catch-all for any small thing the authorities wanted to prosecute.)

However, if this article is true, then I have another reason to distrust Microsoft and think of the company as having unsound (and morally wrong) judgment.

Nite_Fire_Guard
03-01-2003, 12:20 AM
Actually, lying under oath isnt treason, it is perjury, and the penalty for perjury is 20 years in federal prison. Treason, on the other hand, is proving U.S.A. goverment secrets to a national enemy. Last I heard, China was allegedly "freinds" with the U.S.A. Did this change? The penalty for treason is death. In fact, I believe its death by firing squad.

zfreak2004
03-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Nite_Fire_Guard
Actually, lying under oath isnt treason, it is perjury, and the penalty for perjury is 20 years in federal prison. Treason, on the other hand, is proving U.S.A. goverment secrets to a national enemy. Last I heard, China was allegedly "freinds" with the U.S.A. Did this change? The penalty for treason is death. In fact, I believe its death by firing squad.

I would classify China as a friend in name. I don't think the U.S. government should trust them just yet. They are still very much communists and as many countries have proven, communism just doesn't work. They have severe human rights violations as well, such as denying freedom of religion. They are free in name only. If you want to join a church it has to be the state church, and as we Americans know, that is precisely the reason that we declared independance.

Myth
03-01-2003, 09:39 AM
to be accused and proven guilty of treason (if im not mistaken) is punishable by death. This would probably be a little far fetched

most likely it will just be over looked, and communists are probably the biggest threat to democracy. Dunno what Microsoft are up to, but all they're after is cash =/

DarkDragon
03-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Nah, the Soviet dissolution has completely discredited Communism; I think Democracy is quite safe from any red revolution for the time being.

TheGeepster
03-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Windows isn't exactly a government secret. And China is an ally in name (and I do not trust them at all. I believe they're biding their time and looking for our weaknesses.) So I doubt it's treason. All the same, I don't like this particular action and think it was a dumb move..