PDA

View Full Version : Wow.. the economy needs to come back...

Ganonator
02-27-2003, 07:41 PM
At college, you tend to totally space out news. Well, I flipped on Headline News here, and i noticed that the DOW is at 7880. Jigga Wha!??!?

That's a mess. i don't blame it on the wartime situation - I blame it on people's ignorance to not spend when they have the opportunity. (ok, that was almost contradictory, but it makes sense)

Besides.. with gas at 1.75 a gallon here, and oil at $40 a barrel, damn

Radium
02-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Yes, it definately does. Gas here is up to $2.00 a gallon... ;o well, lowest now is like probably 1.90 it was 1.89 last time i filled my tank and it seams to go up a couple cents every week/day :S I hope things get straightened out soon.

TheGeepster
02-27-2003, 08:13 PM
The gas prices ought to settle back down once things are back to relative calm. As for investors, they are a skiddish bunch I hear. Sorta like hyper lemmings on Jolt cola.

I do hope they remove the taxation on dividends soon, because that will shift more of the focus on dividends, and investors on the whole will focus more on the long term and less on the given moment. And this will act to make the market more stable.

The stock market will always be cyclical, with ups and down, but I prefer a smoother, more stable stock market to a highly speculative rollercoaster (right out of "Temple of Doom" no less).

MottZilla
02-27-2003, 09:02 PM
After the Iraq mess is over I think things should improve.

Beldaran
02-27-2003, 10:43 PM
The stock market does not represent the economy. In 2002, the economy actually grew by a few percentages.

Ich
02-27-2003, 10:46 PM
It's true, but it's hard to have a good dow without a good economy.

TheGeepster
02-28-2003, 07:26 AM
This economy is still strong. I never said otherwise. It took a hit or two with corporate scandals and terrorist attacks perhaps, but it's been strong compared to the world economy for a while now. And Beldaran is right, the stock market is NOT the whole of the economy. As a matter of fact, it's not even a reliable predicter of economic health. The stock market as is is simply to speculative and in-the-moment to be trustworthy as a sign.

MottZilla
02-28-2003, 11:27 PM
It's not that the economy isn't growing though, that they are bitching about. They seem to think our economy is to always eb growing, and always by a higher rate. Since it's at a lower rate they are all saying the economy sucks. Oh well. ;p

System Error
02-28-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
After the Iraq mess is over I think things should improve.

Damn that Iraq mess...nobody would laugh if electric cars became much more popular all of a sudden.

TheGeepster
02-28-2003, 11:31 PM
This is related to Congress's way of looking at budgets, right? (A cut in the rate of growth is made equivalent to an actual cut in the budget, even if it isn't)

System Error
02-28-2003, 11:38 PM
I think so. I remember something about congress, but...

VashdeStampedo!
03-01-2003, 01:57 AM
No matter the state of the economy, the govenment (on a State and Federal level) is screwing things up. They're pumping money into finding cleaner fuels, right? I'm okay with that, and support it. But what Taft (Gov. of OH) is doing with this money is buying coal, coating it with petroleum, and then burning it as a "clean fuel". WTF? It's a scam for corporations to make money, and doing nothing to help with the gas or economy problems. Stupid Taft.

SiliconHero
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I'd like to have an electric car. That may just be the "goddamn hippie" in me talking, but I don't know a whole lot about fuel efficiency and miles-per-gallon and all that jazz.

VashdeStampedo!
03-01-2003, 11:36 AM
That transfers to electric cars, but with volts or amps or joules instead of gallons.

moocow
03-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Radium
Yes, it definately does. Gas here is up to $2.00 a gallon... ;o well, lowest now is like probably 1.90 it was 1.89 last time i filled my tank and it seams to go up a couple cents every week/day :S I hope things get straightened out soon.

Gas is anywhere between $1.59 and $1.79 here. It jumps around a lot. I remember when gas was like, $1.18 a couple of months ago.... I also remember the days when gas was like $.98...

/me cries

I guess it's a good thing my car is broken down, now, huh?

TheGeepster
03-01-2003, 03:15 PM
So you agree with me that small government would be much better, Vash?

The only two problems with representative republics nowadays is that the people who need to be leading are too busy bettering society to run, and the ones who are running can't be trusted to lead..

Well, that's not absolutely true, but it does reflect the tendency..

Here's to the private sector anyways!
:toast: Free enterprise will survive until the end times!

System Error
03-01-2003, 03:32 PM
I agree Geep. I don't know HOW those bitch-assed losers become governmental leaders. They're SO focused on things that might but others at a disadvantage while giving normal people, or worse------ THEM a direct advantage. Like the disability cuts. So basically the government is saying if you are handicapped, you shouldn't be on earth/you have no point to live/you are useless? Money obsessed jackasses...

VashdeStampedo!
03-02-2003, 01:31 AM
I agree too. Thankfully, Taft lied so much in his campaign he shouldn't get voted for again. At least the rest of the Republican party realizes he's dumb; he's been cut off from them, meaning he can't run for anything more important, or outside Ohio, pretty much. Of course, he is still running the state into the ground. . . but, in just a few weeks I'll finish the atom bomb *snicker*. Damn it, I mean peace is everything and any forms of violence are wrong. . . stupid backspace key not working.

TheGeepster
03-02-2003, 06:43 AM
I slightly disagree with you on one point, Vash. Peace is optimal, but sometimes tough action is the only way to achieve it.