PDA

View Full Version : Dan Rather's interview with Saddam

DarkDragon
02-26-2003, 11:20 PM
If any of you watched this interview on 60 minutes, what did you think? Of course, most of what Saddam said was propaganda-laden bull, but some of his responses did leave me feeling slightly more sympathetic with Iraq, although Saddam's claim that he willingly withdrew from Kuwait was less than tactless.
Bush, of course, declined a public debate with Saddam. (Since he would obviously lose ;) )

fatcatfan
02-27-2003, 12:28 AM
"There's no debating disarmament." That was Bush's reply. I haven't seen the interview, but heard pieces of it. "What missiles?" He denies them even though Blix has demanded they be destroyed.

TheGeepster
02-27-2003, 02:10 AM
I'm just curious what would be debated.

"You have weapons of mass destruction! Do not! Do too! DO NOT! DO TOO! DO NOT!!! DO TOO!!!"

carrot red
02-27-2003, 10:13 AM
"Sympathetic with Iraq", DD? That'll be the day!!!

Ich
02-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Saddam, of course, was just wasting valuable air time that could be better used for, say, interviews with Michael Jackson. It was all a load of bullshit, and if it's the same BS that he gives to the Iraqi people (and they actually believe it), they deserve to be opressed.

AtmaWeapon
02-27-2003, 11:27 AM
I don't see what the debate would be about, as well. Sadaam would claim he doesn't have weapons, Bush would claim he does. Bush would claim Sadaam oppresses his people, Sadaam would claim he doesn't.

It would be aired live and undedited in the US, and a government-edited recording would air in Iraq that would show only those parts that supported Sadaam, or if ther are any, they would "expose" the Great White Satan as a liar.

Brian
02-27-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure. I would be interested to see Bush confront Sadam with the evidence of the bad things he has done, such as using chemical weapons on his own people, and see how Sadam reacts. We could even show pictures. I'm sure Sadam would say we computer generated them or something, but still, it would be interesting.

Perhaps Bush should agree to the debate if Sadam agrees to show the debate live to his people. (of cource we would have to have a neutral party seeing that he really was doing that)