PDA

View Full Version : snapshots

idontknow
02-25-2003, 09:35 PM
i'm still confused about how to make a snapshot in zquest when your in a dialogue box...for example, if i want to take a pic of the combo editor box, what would i do?...here's what i tried (like somebody had said to do but it didn't work):
1. right click on the combo
2. press the key on the keyboard that says: Print Scrn/SysRq
3. hold tab & alt together
4. open up paint
5. click edit-paste
When the image is pasted, i get an almost completely black image except i can get the words cset, animation frame, etc to show up in a light green color..so basically, how do i fix this? i also tried this with the secret combo menu & that was pretty much all black too. Can you help me out so i could post pics in my tutorial?

Questwizard88
02-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Run Zquest with the -modex command line option and then press print screen. It should work.

idontknow
02-25-2003, 10:03 PM
nope...doesn't work for me

Questwizard88
02-25-2003, 10:09 PM
it must not work anymore. it used to work for me, of course that was with beta 163 in dos.

Ganonator
02-25-2003, 10:54 PM
if you are using windows, put a -windowed after the zquest command, and THEN use print screen.

idontknow
02-26-2003, 04:11 PM
ok..i tried that but because it prints the entire screen, the background included..how do i make the window larger or make it so that it prints only the activated zquest window?...oh! should -modex still be added to the cammand also?

fatcatfan
02-26-2003, 04:54 PM
In the windowed version, use Alt-PrntScrn. For the DOS version running under Windows, use -modex and PrtnScrn. For pure DOS, try F12, though it isn't guaranteed to work all the time.

Questwizard88
02-26-2003, 05:15 PM
I just tried it, and it didn't work for me.

fatcatfan
02-26-2003, 05:20 PM
What "it" did you just try? Lemme be more descriptive

zquest-w.exe -windowed
Hold down the Alt key and press the PrntScrn key. This will take a snapshot of only the current window and copy it to the clipboard.

zquest.exe -modex
If running under windows, press the PrntScrn key. This will take a snapshot of the DOS window and place it on the windows clipboard.

zquest.exe
Running under pure DOS, press the F12 key. A file zeldaXXX.bmp will be placed in the ZC directory, where XXX is an incremental number.

Questwizard88
02-26-2003, 05:25 PM
zquest-w.exe -windowed. Zquest stopped for a brief moment, and I tried copying it in paint. it was kinda jumbled up. I could still make out most of it.

idontknow
02-26-2003, 07:32 PM
This is great! i got it to work completely! thanx! oh by the way, i did press Alt+prnt scrn while zquest was running in -windowed mode & then i was to paint & right clicked & seleced paste...finally, i save as a paint file..this works great! time to add screen shots to my tutorial! :)

ShadowTiger
02-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Darn 1 minutes post difference. Lost this post in the sands of time, and have to retype it. I hope I can remember it all....

In the windowed version, use Alt-PrntScrn. OK, so it's no longer just printscreen anymore? I don't remember having to tag alt with it too. Just trying to clarify. (Again, I worded this much better before.)

And thank you, IDK, for your persistence in trying to help us with this. If it's any consolation, or help, whatever, we've already got the appearing chest method perfectly. (It's about the simplest but most effective method with the ctrl clicking secret combos.)

fatcatfan
02-27-2003, 11:59 AM
The Alt-PrntScrn thing has nothing to do with ZC directly. In windows, a plain PrntScrn copies the entire screen, while Alt-PrntScrn copies only the active window.

ShadowTiger
02-27-2003, 03:42 PM
FATCATFAN TRULY IS GOD! :laughing: :kawaii: :laughing: :rolleyes: :D

OK, thanks. I'll remember this the next time I have to take a snapshot of something.

Since the title of this thread is snapshots, I suppose I can put this here. If I take a snapshot of something in ZC or ZQuest, and import it into a non-paint program, then save it as a .GIF file, either manually or via the pulldown bar, (Please comment on this in your answer. Thanks.) would this be considered a "true" .GIF file, or would it simply be a mask for the .bmp underneath, therefore ensuring that it would not work as regular .GIF's would.

System Error
02-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Frickin' useful little tidbits like these should all be put into a topic/website! But I lost my paint...dammit!!!!!!!! Oh well, screw that. I'll get another graphics program.

fatcatfan
03-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
Since the title of this thread is snapshots, I suppose I can put this here. If I take a snapshot of something in ZC or ZQuest, and import it into a non-paint program, then save it as a .GIF file, either manually or via the pulldown bar, (Please comment on this in your answer. Thanks.) would this be considered a "true" .GIF file, or would it simply be a mask for the .bmp underneath, therefore ensuring that it would not work as regular .GIF's would.

I'm not sure just exactly what you're saying here. I'll put it this way, if the program supports saving as GIF files, then you'll be fine. If, instead, you just force it to use the GIF extension when you enter save filename, you've likely just created bitmap or something else which is pretending to be a GIF.

If you need an image convertor, go to www.irfanview.com. Totally free, and supports all the common web formats and otherwise. It can also be an mp3/ogg/media player.