PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.00 Is Not Real! Everyone Please Read!

Dark Nation
02-25-2003, 06:46 PM
On a whim, I decided to see if Zelda Classic had gotten onto Kazaa. So, I type Zelda into the search box and I get several hits for Zelda Classic 2.00. Most intriguing, since it hasn't hit 2.00 yet. So, I decide to download them and see what I can find out. Oddly enough, there were about 20 different-sized ones on Kazaa. After a couple download, I look at them and notice they have a WinRAR Self-Extractor icon. So, I fire up WinRAR and try to open them. No luck. 4 different ones I try to open this way and none of them work. So, I look for "Zelda Classic 2.00" on Google. 2 pages show up. This (https://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojpac.shtml) is the first one. Turns out this is actually "Pac", which is "a new P2P (peer-to-peer) worm, backdoor and DoS (Denial of Service) attack tool."

I did not create this.
I did not distribute it.
I do not know who did.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT!

Coder GT
02-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Lol, I didn't hear any rumors have a ZC v2.0, well if they don't post it in this forum or in the QB it ain't real. HAHAHA KaZaA sucks, Win MX is 1000 times better.

Dark Nation
02-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Well, I've tried WinMX, but usually there is a queue for anything I am looking for. *shrug*

Blonde799
02-25-2003, 07:14 PM
O_o
o_O
>_<
Never heard of it. Unless there's another MH around...

JayeM
02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanx for the warning. It looks like one of our enemies is getting creatively nasty. Is there any way to get this removed from KaZaA?

The Savior
02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JayeM
Thanx for the warning. It looks like one of our enemies is getting creatively nasty. Is there any way to get this removed from KaZaA?

If there was, the record industry would have done it a long time ago.

Ganonator
02-25-2003, 07:52 PM
It's funny that you mension DN, because I noticed this a couple of days ago and passed it off in the 'wtf...' category. we still have like a month to go before a full release is out, right *crosses fingers*

TheGeepster
02-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Just so we know, DN. What's the current beta build being tested? (Last one I heard of was 1.92 build 184, but I imagine it'd be on at least build 185 or 186.)

Blonde799
02-25-2003, 08:24 PM
It's not 186. Anyway, if there's anything neccessary the public should hear, it'll be posted in the beta reports. Although I wonder sometimes.....

Dark Nation
02-25-2003, 09:06 PM
The current build is like 184d or something like that. FCF is currently working on it while I take a short hiatus.

idontknow
02-25-2003, 09:09 PM
any hints on whats being worked on?

TheGeepster
02-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks DN. I was just curious. I can't believe ZC was being used for a worm... (The soon-to-be-infamous 2.00 version that is.)

fatcatfan
02-25-2003, 09:15 PM
We're working on Zelda Classic :tongue:

Seriously though, bugfixes is really all I've been concerned with. I've fixed the rather annoying continue bug, among others. I've been trying to go through everything in the bugs forums, but I've fallen behind lately. So please, post any bugs in the bug report forum. Just please try to check that your bug hasn't already been posted, and be as decriptive as possible about the conditions in which the bug occurs. It goes along way towards helping me track them down without wasting too much time.

MottZilla
02-25-2003, 11:37 PM
The thing is the people that started distributing this worm probably just picked the name randomly/swiftly.

And ya, DN, I do the same thing with any self extracting (or looking to be) archive, and open it with WinRar or WinZip, so no code from it is executed. You can't trust things to not be filled with viruses unless you really know the source of these things.

I don't see why anyone would download anything labeled Zelda Classic without it being from a trusting source. Or any executable. You gotta know that no one is trying to screw you.

TheGeepster
02-25-2003, 11:59 PM
The duped haven't been reading THIS forum, that's for sure..

(Unless of course DN secretly has 2.0 done and is merely toying with us for now. :eyebrow: But enough sarcasm..)

Foxx
02-26-2003, 02:00 AM
Very interesting. Whoever packaged this worm didn't go for that wide a target audience, although the name is almost certain to hook those for whom it is intended....

Thunderbird
02-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Foxx
Very interesting. Whoever packaged this worm didn't go for that wide a target audience, although the name is almost certain to hook those for whom it is intended....

Guess again. Look at the link DN posted. Zelda Classic 2.00 is not the only thing that it attempts to mimic. There's a ton of EXE files that it attempts to mimic, a lot of which warez people will probably actively seek out. Some of those EXE file names don't have a corresponding real version (ZC 2.0, Splinter Cell Crack, to name a couple), at least to my knowledge.

I haven't started WinMX for months, and I've never looked for ZC on it (I know where to get it :tongue: ), so I should be safe.

One odd thing is that the worm doesn't seem to be interested in doing any damage. But then again, I seldom fully understand virus reports :p.

TheGeepster
02-27-2003, 02:51 AM
Worms can also be used for other purposes. transmitting passwords and keystrokes through the internet, or "denial-of-service" attacks on another site.. In this case, there may not be any noticeable difference.