PDA

View Full Version : Bullshit

MottZilla
02-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Isn't it just retarded how all the sites that cover games now, want you to register and pay?

Really, if you want to sell your games, and you leave it up to people that want you to pay to be advertised to that's sad.

I was hunting for the Ninja Gaiden Xbox trailer, and it took me FOREVER to find a place that would let me watch it without any registering crap.

But ya anyway, anybody else get pissed at this sort of thing?

Jigglysaint
02-25-2003, 06:21 PM
The video game industry must be doing this to offset the pirate costs it takes from their pockets. I always prefered Oldschool.

Maverick_Zero
02-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Hmm, try gamerevolution.com it's pretty good, it does have some pop-ups, but one of them is a program to get rid of them. I downloaded it and it workes quite well.

Thunderbird
02-25-2003, 08:14 PM
The sites are most likely doing this for 2 reasons:

#1: Web advertising isn't paying that much anymore
#2: There are people willing to pay

Mak-X
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I see sites like Gamespot and IGN like online magazines, you pay about $20 for a subscription to get content for a year. Like Thunderbird said, advertising isn't pay much anymore. I'd probably subscribe to Gamespot if I had broadband to take advantage of the media and websites in general, but I'm fine with Nintendo Power magazine and Electronic Gaming Monthly (I actually prefer to get most information, news and previews in EGM because its all there in a 200 pg book I can flip through).
Yeah it is annoying to find stuff locked out on a partial free website, but whater ya gonna do?
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-04-29&res=l

It has nothing to do with the gaming industry and piracy, JigglySaint, the websites are done by publications that cover video games, not the developers/publishers of games.

TheGeepster
02-25-2003, 09:22 PM
I get the feeling the age of "free internet" is coming to a twilight. The advertising is losing its effectiveness on the internet, just like it is in other visual media. (I either avoid or ignore advertising, and I'm not anywhere near alone.) Imagine how the Napster-worshippers will feel when normal economics takes over Internet. Or maybe it was always normal, and people are merely becoming the buyer as opposed to the goods.. (Think about what paid advertising is and you'll understand what I mean.)

Dart Zaidyer
02-25-2003, 09:45 PM
These corporate suits just aren't thinking hard enough. There are better ways to make money. It just takes one-to-one trust to turn all your users into philanthropists, AND your social skills don't suffer! =)

MottZilla
02-25-2003, 11:48 PM
I don't know but I would have probably put off buying Ninja Gaiden for Xbox had I not gotten to see the danmed trailer and it's these shitty sites' fault. I think Tecmo would WANT me to see their trailer, to get me to buy their game, along with any other potential customers.

I don't see them as online mags.

Thunderbird
02-26-2003, 12:42 AM
The thing about trailers is that they can suck up a lot of bandwidth quickly. Bandwidth costs a good deal of money for any web site.

GameSpot has a 2nd trailer available. So you don't have to dig very deep: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/media/0,11100,561532,00.html

If you're looking for a movie about a specific game, GameSpot always makes one movie available for free. Though you have to stream it (better than nothing).

MottZilla
02-26-2003, 03:55 PM
That's what part of my problem was. I didn't know you could only "stream" the damned thing. But eventually I found that worked. I agree, bandwidth can cost alot... an that's really the only reason I can see paying, as movies aren't small amounts of data. They are fairly large and add up really quick.