PDA

View Full Version : Dmap 0... always set to "Continue Here"?

C-Dawg
02-24-2003, 02:04 AM
I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the infamous "Intro Bug" in Sabotage Dragoon. It seems like if the player Saves at the Hidden Grove (Dmap 30-something, Continue Here checked) they're fine. But if they save ANYWHERE ELSE, they end up continuing back in Tuton Valley (which is Dmap 0 due to poor planning and so shoots the player off to the intro again.) But Continue Here is NOT checked on Tuton Valley.

I could change the Dmap number of Tuton Valley, but thats a shitload of work. Any other way around this?

-C

DarkFlameWolf
02-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Have you tried doing some 'continue here's in other various Dmaps during the intro? Like have 'continue' points throughout the intro should a player die in one of the various battle sequences?

C-Dawg
02-24-2003, 11:10 AM
I dont see the point of that. I HAVE added some Ent/Exits to the intro so the player can continue from a new place... but I dont see "midintro" as a good place to continue from a SAVE.

-C

Blonde799
02-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Basically, I have my main overworld's cont. here box checked, so when the intro is done, the player can't go back. Since you have a shitload of text, pics, etc., you can have the player continue on the title screen. Basically a good way to skip all that stuff.:)

fatcatfan
02-24-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm assuming DMAP 0 also has a level number of zero, right? Because of that, it's treated as an overworld, and you always continue on it's continue screen rather than entrance/exits. You could try making the level number something really high that you aren't using, but I can't promise that it won't break some of the other behaviors exhibited by overworlds.

C-Dawg
02-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Blonde: Yes, well- duh. That's what I'm trying to accomplish here too. :P

Fatcatfan: That's fine, but what SCREEN on which you continue on Dmap 0 doesn't really bother me. The problem is:

1) Dmap 0 does NOT have Continue Here checked
2) If the player visits Dmap 0 after visiting a Dmap that DOES have Continue Here checked, he or she continues from Dmap 0.

Under 183, Im not sure why it's doing that.

-C

fatcatfan
02-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Ah. Well, yes, it's because DMAP 0 is always considered to be "continue here". That's the way DN set it up when he implemented "continue here". Any time you enter a "continue here" DMAP, the current save point is updated.

C-Dawg
02-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Wow. That's a bitch. So to correct this problem, every tile and side warp to Tuton Valley must be updated!

-C

jman2050
02-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Yep, that's a problem I've been having with my quest. I managed to fix it early, thankfully. For future reference, unless you want the player to deliberately continue from Dmap 0, do not put any of your gameplay stuff on Dmap 0. A quick fix qould be to merely change which Dmap your area is at, but then that'd require you change all of your warps, as C-Dawg already mentioned.

fatcatfan, maybe you or DN could put sort of a 'move Dmap' feature, which when used will change the Dmap number of a particular Dmap to another, in the process changing ll the warps. I know it might not be possible, but can you put this on the list nevertheless?

fatcatfan
02-24-2003, 05:12 PM
I was considering it in light of this. Won't promise that it'll happen anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind.

ShadowTiger
02-24-2003, 05:45 PM
What I do is check the box for everything, but then leave the dmap continue blank, so it always points at 0,0. (Whoah, that kinda looks like a snowman's head. Go figure. - 0,0 - ) Anyway, when Link restarts, he ends up on that screen. That screen can say "you have chosen to continue," or something like that, or, it can just be set to a timed warp of 2 tics or something, and send Niloc /coliN to a predetermined place.

C-Dawg
02-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, I just went ahead and changed the Dmap. It took less time than I'd imagined- I only had thirty or so warps to change. My testers are the lucky folk who will get a chance to see if it works.

Which reminds me- every Monday after now, new versions will be sent out to testers. If you're interested, remember to follow the instructions over at AZC.

-C

Cloral
02-25-2003, 12:48 AM
All that really needs to happen (and something I think would be very nice to have) would be for a new piece of init data called 'starting dmap' which indicates which dmap Link begins the quest from (instead of assuming it will always be dmap 0). Then you could just move the intro to another dmap and all would be well.

Blonde799
02-25-2003, 01:01 AM
I wish we had that.:) I had to move over 100 DMaps to make my intro work well.:shrug: