PDA

View Full Version : uh.. wow. That's not supposed to happen!?

gdorf
02-23-2003, 12:20 AM
I just installed windows XP again, after totally wiping my hard-drive. I did this because my partitions had become overlapped somehow, and this was the only way I knew how to fix it (partition magic wouldn't even help). It installed fine, I installed it to a 40 gig partition (C:) and had another 60gig partition for storage. Both of these partitions are FAT32.

At first everything went fine. I downloaded all my backup files from my brothers computer, then started installing drivers. I started with the video driver, seeing as how even moving a window was slow. I ran the driver and half-way through the screen went dead and I realized I hadn't installed the AGP drivers for my motherboard yet. I had to power-off the system and boot into safe-mode to un-install the nvidia drivers. Then I installed the AGP drivers, and then tried to install the Nvidia drivers without restarting. I copied over the nvidia files during installation and tried again. Once again a failure.

Figuring the third times the charm, I started up my computer again, booted up, and tried installing my video driver again. This time it won't let me overwrite the files I had already written because of a file-system error. Now, it won't let me delete/overwrite anything on C:, while D: runs fine. I can create files on C:, but when I try and felete something it tells me it doesn't exist. I can even save a document, I just can't delete or overwrite it. Any idea whats wrong?

Dechipher
02-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Wow, I'm sorry man. Computers can be pains quite often. Hope everything works out.

Rijuhn
02-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I had to reformat, well I didn't have too, but my dad thought it was best, before I installed Windows XP because my internet wouldn't load. I would connect online, or to the server but it wouldn't send or receive any data. I've had this problem on other occasions as there seems to be something gay with my modem or my version of the factory CD of Windows ME. Everything is working fine now, except for Winamp 2.81 which doesn't want to display properly in XP for one reason or another. I don't see any kind of Winamp XP version so I'm going to get Winamp 3 to see if that display correctly. Peace out.

System Error
02-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Whoa, that's really weird. So in other words, XP sucks ass, right? :D Good luck getting everything working again!

Ich
02-23-2003, 04:46 PM
I just have a separate machine for Linux until I get the courage to make my main one use it.

fatcatfan
02-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
This time it won't let me overwrite the files I had already written because of a file-system error. Now, it won't let me delete/overwrite anything on C:, while D: runs fine. I can create files on C:, but when I try and felete something it tells me it doesn't exist. I can even save a document, I just can't delete or overwrite it. Any idea whats wrong?

I've never heard of such a problem, but I'll venture a guess. When was the last time you did a thorough "surface scan" of the hard drive in question? It may well be that there are some bad clusters on the platter which are causing your errors. I'm truthfully more inclined to think it is a software problem, but I wouldn't know what to tell you to fix it beyond repartitioning, reformatting, and reinstalling yet again. And I imagine you'd rather not do that.

KINGOFALLME2
02-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Holy jebus....being a geek as i am. one computer trafedy affects the geeks worldwide. I say want to say wat fatcatfan said. I like bacing people up

gdorf
02-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan

I've never heard of such a problem, but I'll venture a guess. When was the last time you did a thorough "surface scan" of the hard drive in question? It may well be that there are some bad clusters on the platter which are causing your errors. I'm truthfully more inclined to think it is a software problem, but I wouldn't know what to tell you to fix it beyond repartitioning, reformatting, and reinstalling yet again. And I imagine you'd rather not do that.

Taking your advice the first thing I did was stick in the diagnostic toolkit floppy Western Digital supplies and run a full diagnostic test. It turned out fine. Then, I gave up and formated C: again and reinstalled. It wasn't that big of a deal, it only took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, total. Also, I had most important things on the D: drive, which I didn't even need to touch. Thanks for the help. :)