PDA

View Full Version : How do you save layers?

Freedom
02-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Here's what I'm trying...

I do a screen, then click on layer 5 and add falling snow.
works and looks good until I save and exit, then the snow layer 5 is gone when I come back in.

How do you get the thing to save?

System Error
02-21-2003, 09:54 PM
You need to have the falling snow on an actual screen on another Map and use the Layers option in the Data menu. Are you sure you are doing that?

TheGeepster
02-21-2003, 10:16 PM
You have to set a map for every layer used. For purposes of avoiding glitches, you should use a separate map for each layer and avoid overlapping them. It's under Data -> Layers as has been said already.

Freedom
02-21-2003, 10:41 PM
would be nice if this was covered in the tutorial or the ZC manual, been setting here spinning my wheels all day.

---

edit........

Ok, I see how it works, you say I should use a complete different map for each layer?
man! that's going to burn up a lot of maps.

Thanks guys, I still have one or two strands of hair left.

:O)

ONE more question...

Is it possible to allow the player to turn layers off and on?
like link stopping the rain by blowing the whistle or something, such as was the case in some of the Zelda games?

idontknow
02-21-2003, 11:19 PM
what version do you have?..if you have beta 182, then yes, secrets will work on layers...go to the layer screen and place a flag 16 and in the secret combo menu set the combo to the rain sprite...on layer 0, the screen to which the layer is being added, place whistle flags on layer 0 wherever you want the player to be able to blow the whistle & activate the secret...

EDIT: i actually am working on a tutorial for beta 182 that has all new stuff that the original tutorial does not...however, you should start at Alphadawg's basic tutorial to learn how to do easy, fundamental stuff first, as my tutorial is a lil bit more complicated and it starts with new things and you have to know how to do the basics in order to following along...this tutorial is up & running quite yet, but i have finished most of it, so look for it soon! :)

Freedom
02-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Idontknow,

I've already gone through the tutorial and released my first 190 quest the other day (Quest for Freedom), I just moved over to the 192-163 and am starting a new quest, should I abandon this and do the 182 instead?

another thing....
If I do switch to the 182 will all these tiles and qst's open in the 182.
I tried to open some 190 tiles in the 163 to grab some and they won't even open.

I'd hate to download a bunch more, I have several megs worth already

System Error
02-21-2003, 11:41 PM
idontknow will be basically the author of ZClassic Tutorial Advanced, which you can get for the low low price of $0.00! Order today by calling toll free at...

1-337-Ino-know!

Freedom
02-22-2003, 01:43 AM
hummmm....

Well got the layer to work....
link walks in slow motion on only the layered pages and the snow remains green no matter what colors I put in the d-maps....

frustrating.

EDIT:

OK, to get the snow to work you have to set the overworld d-map to snow, but then that also changes your WHOLE overworld....

so what do I have to do if I want just the mountian areas snowy, put that all on a seperate map and then warp them together?

what is everyone else doing, building their overworlds in sections on different maps?