PDA

View Full Version : Even more combo cycling testing

TheGeepster
02-21-2003, 06:36 AM
This does not work with combo cycling. I had thought perhaps if you entered "1" for number of frames it might work. (The default is zero, and it's easy to see why that wouldn't work) It did not, the combo froze.

The cset for the next combo is very important. The combo will change csets when it cycles over.

Also, the combo actually set on the screen in a spot will always be the combo in use when you enter the screen, unless changed by a permanent secret. Very useful for timed pits. It's not surprising though.

Most of this stuff was probably extremely obvious, but I'm playing with it just to make sure.

C-Dawg
02-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Also, something I've found to be irritating- animated combos will always revert to the first combo in the sequence when you enter the screen for the first time- but tile animation does not likewise reset. This means that animated cells often start on the first combo of the sequence, but halfway or more through the animation- THIS is what is causing BH4 problems with his timer, and what is causing me headaches in trying to set up a "race" minigame.

Anyone remember why we clamored to have tile animation not reset between screens back in the day?

-C

ShadowTiger
02-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Ah... oh. OK. That seems logical. Thank you for explaining that. Hmm.. Perhaps I could go about this another way then? Perhaps by just having 40 individual combos, all cycled though individual combos. But if that doesn't work, I'll keep trying. I'll report my findings immediately.

TheGeepster
02-21-2003, 06:44 PM
I suggested the code for combo animations (which is where the problem lies) refer to the 'time on screen' as opposed to 'time in game'. That should solve BH4's clock problem nicely, and as far as I can tell, it would be a very quick fix.

If there's code for warps after being on screen a certain time, then the variables ought to be already there for this.

Ganonator
02-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Anyone remember why we clamored to have tile animation not reset between screens back in the day?

-C
Yes - so that if you had frame animations that needed to be matched at the edge of a screen (i.e. water on cliffs, waterfalls, etc) they would all match up. If they reset every time you went into a new screen, it would seriously mess up any hope of matching animations in your quest.

TheGeepster
02-21-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't think I would mind a small graphical glitch like that in transition. If it does make a difference, an insta-scroll quest option would cover it very nicely.

idontknow
02-21-2003, 07:06 PM
um Ganonator, do you mean that combos on screens that Link is not on animate still so that when enter, the animations are on the same frame, thus if you have a bunch of screens with snow, the falling snow will match correctly for example? this makes sense but also, its such a pain in the ass for combo cycling...maybe a screen flag: "Restart Animation" so that for only designated screens the animation restarts

TheGeepster
02-21-2003, 08:35 PM
You'll get glitches one way or the other it seems. We didn't have combo cycling at first though. I understand why it is how it is now, but I'd prefer it the other way.