PDA

View Full Version : String limit?

Petoe
02-20-2003, 10:33 AM
A simple question. What is the limit of strings? So how many strings can there be in one quest? I have already used 240 strings, and wasn't the string limit about 255 in the old builds? I just hope I can have more strings now, or I....... :confuse2:

C-Dawg
02-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Current string limit is 65,000 or something like that.

-C

Petoe
02-20-2003, 12:09 PM
It is? GREAT! Thanks C!

Ganonator
02-20-2003, 12:33 PM
65000?? you could write War and Peace w/ that kind of data limit. Of course, it only adds on to the amount of memory we use IF we use all 65335 strings available.

System Error
02-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Yeah, and you shouldn't really have a reason to use that many. Its technically possible, but quests should use only about...1000 or so tops. :evil:

Petoe
02-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Yeah, and you shouldn't really have a reason to use that many. Its technically possible, but quests should use only about...1000 or so tops.

Only 1000. I'm gonna use at least 10 000 in my next quest! :D

System Error
02-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Go ahead if you want. Technically though, you'd have to have hours worth of boring conversation or a hell of a big quest to fit 10000 in.

idontknow
02-21-2003, 07:12 PM
well think about this, if you have a really long sentence that one particular guy says thats only used in one area, you would need at least several strings linked together if not more. Also, if you have different shops using a dmap full of shop room types, then you'll probably want a bunch of different strings for each one. Also, for Info types, if you have 3 strings set up, you will need 3 strings for each piece of info you could pay for (unless you want to fool the player & make all info spots use the same string). Also, you'll need strings if you want to begin the quest with an introduction/dialogue...also, if you want to set up various signs/hints in your quest via pit warps & identical screens, then you'll need plenty of strings...strings can very easily add up!

System Error
02-21-2003, 07:17 PM
Ouch! Oh, and that reminds me, how do you use shops/strings on DMaps WITHOUT USING THE CAVE/ITEM SHOP OR PASSAGEWAY options? I don't know or I forgot how to do this. I want different shop styles for every screen, not just the same old boring room 80 that's always the same. *yawn*

idontknow
02-21-2003, 07:25 PM
strings and shops do not work on overworld/bs overworld dmap types (well, i mean the message strings and room types when set on the overworld types are actually applied to the cave/item room/passage room whereas the message string/room types for screens in dungeon/cave dmaps are applied to the actual screen itself so if you want different shop/item rooms and not have them all look the same or have the same screen, you need to make a seperate dmap with all the different screens of the houses and for each, you need to set a different warp from the overworld to the appropriate screen of this dmap & also have Links from each screen back to the overworld...also, you must have a guy set in dungeon/cave dmaps in order for the message string to appear

System Error
02-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I did that. Maybe one of the problems is that you are actually entering a cave DMap from another Cave DMap (I'm avoiding the damn "Triforce" crap on the subscreen, it's gone, you don't even get to the overworld until after 3 "Dungeons" which often aren't dungeons at all). I do have them all set to a different DMap with different screens and different warps from Cave Town to the apporps screen. I also have the Guy set right. I've tried both putting the stuff on the warping screen and the house. No success.

Petoe
02-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Go ahead if you want. Technically though, you'd have to have hours worth of boring conversation or a hell of a big quest to fit 10000 in.

It won't have hours of boring conversation, it just will be so massive quest with tons of people to talk to and different signs and boards to read. That's why all the 10000 strings will probably be used. :shrug: