PDA

View Full Version : Differing timing for combo cycling

TheGeepster
02-19-2003, 08:37 AM
IDK asked recently why combos has to last the same amount of time, and research has determined an answer.

At any given moment, ZC keeps track of where each animated combo is in its own animation loop. It does not reset this whenever a combo cycles to the combo in question.

If you have combos being cycled that are differing lengths, You may find that the combo is starting from somewhere other than the beginning (maybe even right at the end) and is thus cut short. That is where the earlier research on the formula for # of tics in an animation should come in handy. With that all combos can be made of identical length, this ceases to be a problem.

NEXT UP: Is use of "1-frame animation" possible? Check back later.

Ganonator
02-19-2003, 12:37 PM
This is why it is only safe to use combos that are set aside for your combo animations. If you use the same combos for multiple animations, you will get off somewhere. I had a great puzzle in the makings until i realized that you can not use the same animations simultaneous with each other. Sucks....

TheGeepster
02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
I used similar combos that used the same tiles, same order, same speed, but I grouped them different ways. (They were numbered tiles)

Set 1) Single Combo {1-5}
Set 2) {1-3}{4,5}
Set 3) {1-2}{3}{4,5}
Set 4) {1}{2}{3}{4,5}

Theoretically, they should have all behaved the exact same, based on the assumption that when a combo finished its animation and moved to the next, the next would start at the beginning.

It didn't work that way. For example, in both sets 3 and 4, whenever it got to the point it should have shown "4", those combos were displaying "5" and thus "4" was skipped. These two would go 1-2-3-5 repeatedly.

But say you had spikes which were up 1/3 of the time. You might be tempted to combine the 2 combos where they were down, but odds would be the end effect would have them up 1/2 the time instead.

Looking at how this whole thing probably works, I can't think of any easy way to remedy this little dilemma, but fortunately it ought to be fairly easy to avoid.