PDA

View Full Version : What?! Cheating without the codes!

Demimore
02-19-2003, 05:12 AM
I found out that if you push "W" you get invinsible without cheats. And the enemies freezes. Also, if you press "D" you can see some strange stuff....

This works with b182 only, as far as I know....

This may have been posted before, if it has, I'm sorry.... I wouldn't know what to look for if it's like that. ;)

TheGeepster
02-19-2003, 07:06 AM
This information has been posted before, but I can't recall the thread. It may have been in a readme file somewhere as well. Does anyone know what thread/file the debug keys for 182 are found in?

They are removed in the 183 player.

Cronic
02-19-2003, 11:04 AM
The plus and minus keys also fluctuate your life =/

ShadowTiger
02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Hmm... I never actually knew that. I'll test it out. Actually, I may have heard this before, like in the beta reports when they said that the Plus and minus would affect your life and shift + - would do the magic... But I'm not sure. Meh, we'll test it, we'll find out, and we'll be happy. :D

The D key is actually surprisinly helpful, if you need a piece of information,

Verbatim
02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
The numbers also affect things...1-4 turn swords on and off...I think the rings may be in there, too.

Personally, I'd recommend getting b183 and using it to play anything you really want to play. After all, what you really want to do is overcome that tough quest's challenges, right? Seeing what comes next is a lesser reward to the sweet taste of success.

The information you can get by hitting D can be useful though, especially for bug-testing. It might make sense to play in b182 if you're beta-testing a quest, or to switch to b182 to take some screenshots with the Dmap info. (It's easy enough to do, just put a copy of Zelda-w(182).exe into your b183 folder, with a re-name so it doesn't write over the b183 version, they can share the same save-file.)

Petoe
02-19-2003, 04:57 PM
I don't know should I post this to bug forum or is this a known bug, but in build183(win) when I look at the map second time by pressing space, the quest quits automatically. :odd: :confuse2:

VEL
02-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Petoe
I don't know should I post this to bug forum or is this a known bug, but in build183(win) when I look at the map second time by pressing space, the quest quits automatically. :odd: :confuse2:

It's known about, and I think it has been fixed in the private betas.

System Error
02-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Yeah, those are simply debugger keys. Meant for debugging. The 182 player was probably just a testing version, not intended for playing quests.

fatcatfan
02-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Yes, I wish we could "unrelease" 182. Having those debug keys in there is a serious problem. I hate that anyone can cheat on any quest with that player.

System Error
02-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Hey! I got an idea! All quests played in the future are incompatible with version 182! Or there's option #2, hire expert H4X0R5 and have them rip everyone off of 182 and crash all the 182 links.

fatcatfan
02-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, I could add some code to make any 182 save files invalid, but that'd punish honest users. There's no simple way to fix it. So... :shrug:

AlphaDawg
02-19-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by fatcatfan
Well, I could add some code to make any 182 save files invalid, but that'd punish honest users. There's no simple way to fix it. So... :shrug: Doing something like that will only motivate somebody to make another "trainer." Which I'm not opposed to necessarily, it would just make anything you do meaningless.

I came to this conclusion a long time ago... if a person decides to cheat, then the only person they're cheating is himself. It's their perogative. (sp?)

That being said a quick quest file format change for the next beta followed by a public player release might be a good idea. Gotta stay one step ahead...

Questwizard88
02-19-2003, 10:32 PM
I think we should get this problem fixed. If you want to cheat on a quest, you should have to earn the codes, or something like that.

EDIT: You should earn the codes when you beat the entire quest. That would be more fair. The debug keys should be removed right away.

fatcatfan
02-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Well, I *did* just change the save file format, sort of. I added some meaning to previously unused bytes, in order to fix the continuing behavior. But it doesn't break old saves, in fact old ones will be upgraded as needed.

MottZilla
02-20-2003, 12:46 AM
I think I mentioned this before. Your best bet is to replace all the beta 182 "players" in distrobutions with the 183 player and hope that helps get it out of circulation.

Cronic
02-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Here's a thought.

We can't very well undo it after the fact, but what we could do is replace currently availible downloads with a fix that would at least be the begining of a thinning of the problem :shrug:

MottZilla
02-20-2003, 01:18 AM
You should do it. The start is to stop spreading it. And eventually it may die off.

fatcatfan
02-20-2003, 01:19 AM
Well the 183 player *is* already made public, so I don't see any problem replacing it in the available 182 archives. But I certainly can't track them all down and fix it. All that need be done is replace the zelda-w.exe in the existing archives with the b183 player.

Questwizard88
02-20-2003, 05:06 PM
That would work. We would still have to track down each copy and replace it. That would take a while.