PDA

View Full Version : XP internet trouble

stormwatcheagle
02-18-2003, 03:01 PM
For some reason, My Cable Line won't work on my couputer that it has been working on for years. We just upgraded it to XP. On the other hand, If i plug the same exact linr into my machine that still has windows 2000, It works! What's going on?

Thunderbird
02-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Network card set up correctly by any chance? I had to change a network card out in one machine when we found Win2K didn't have drivers for one of the network cards in it (it was an OLD card).

stormwatcheagle
02-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Yeah, It was perfect when I was using 2000, the I updated to XP and it got shakey, now, it won't connect.

MottZilla
02-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Hey man. I had a similar problem with my DSL. Went from 98 to XP, internet went to shit. Since you confirmed it still work on Win2k, you must go search for 100% XP compatable drivers for your hardware.

gdorf
02-18-2003, 06:24 PM
In case you haven't already, go into the control panel, then click on system, and goto the device manager under hardware. If there is an exclamation mark next to your ethernet card, then it definately isn't setup properly, but even if there isn't chck it out anyway, make sure the drivers are setup, and see if there is an update you can get.

By the way, what type of ethernet card do you have? Or if it is onboard ethernet, who manufactured it?

AtmaWeapon
02-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
... My Cable Line ...

Somehow, I don't think he uses an ethernet card. :p

Look for XP drivers. That's what I had to do with my DSL modem.

stormwatcheagle
02-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, actually, the line runs to an external modem, then to an ethernet card, err whatever it is. It takes a big phone looking line (I believe it is an ethernet line) The card is called (exactly as windows calls is): SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC 2111TX)