PDA

View Full Version : Combo Cycling

DarkFlameWolf
02-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Please list all the possible ideas and uses for this new Zquest feature. I want to know everything that could possibly be done with this new feature, don't hold anything back! *cough*Prince*cough* ;)

C-Dawg
02-18-2003, 12:52 PM
You never cease to amaze me with the way you think the uses of any given feature in Zquest can be reduced to a linear list for yor benefit.

There are lots of threads talking about ideas for the use of combo animation. (Look! Just ten posts below! http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68480) As far as "listing all the possible ideas", lets look at why that isnt possible. Ready for some math?

We can have as many as 99 tiles in each combo animated.
We can have roughly 256x16x16 different pictures on each tile.
We can have as many combos in an animated seqence as we have combo space, but let's say 100 just to keep things reasonable. Each combo can have one of about- what- 50 different combo types? And then each combo can animate at, lets say, 100 different speeds.

So even without combining multiple animated combos together on the screen, we have 99x256x16x16x100x50x100 "uses" for combo animation. I dont think we can list them all for you.

It might be more productive for you to post the less demanding "Could someone please give me some ideas for using combo animation" in the future.

-C

Cronic
02-18-2003, 12:57 PM
/me chuckles

idontknow
02-18-2003, 01:01 PM
edit:
-slashable statues
-moving pits/stairs
-falling floors
-Bushes that grow back after being slashed
-Conveyors that stop & go or change directions
-Blocks that change push properties
-Damaging Spikes that go up & down
-Animating Shutters
-Moving Triggers
-Moving Obstacles
-Blocks that suddenly hurt you
-Eyeball Statues
-Custom Bosses
-Moving Overhead Objects
-Retracting Magic Sponges

ShadowTiger
02-18-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's possible to finally have an "elevator" of sorts. I'm working on it right now.

DarkFlameWolf
02-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks Idon'tknow. You were a better help than C-dawg anyway. :P

ShadowTiger
02-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Surely thou dost jesteth.... C-Dawg has provided us with the foundation for Combo Cycling. If not for C-Dawg, some of us would still be wallowing in the dirt eating hay, probably including myself. Thank you C-Dawg. :D But they really are good ideas.

The elevator may be hard though..... :think:

idontknow
02-18-2003, 04:00 PM
could somebody please explain this "elevator" thing? what would it do? how would it work? how would you create it? what combos would you have to use? what purpose would it serve? etc.

fatcatfan
02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
You know how in LttP in some rooms the floor falls out when you walk out it, or just after so much time? :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure you could manage this. It'd be a pain to first set up the animations, but it could be done. You'd need a different combo for different timings, but it could reference the same animations as all the others once the timing part was through.

System Error
02-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Nice thinking fatcatfan. That elevator idea isn't bad either.

idontknow
02-18-2003, 09:47 PM
um...no i don't know..i haven't played any other zelda games besides the original zelda for nes...i don't mean to sound like i'm bitching, but i hate it when people refer to things in other games without first explaining it because they assume everyone else just knows what they're talking about...however, i do think i know what you mean, you mean a floor where the tiles drop out at different times right?...hmm...i like that idea and have used it in my quest somewhat...but is this the same as that elevator idea?...if not, what is the elevator exactly?

System Error
02-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Elevators are the things in big buildings that let lazy asses and handcapped people travel from floor to floor. It'd probably involve a pit warp or something. :-|

C-Dawg
02-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf
Thanks Idon'tknow. You were a better help than C-dawg anyway. :P

I linked you to the exact same information that Idontknow posted, oh lazy one. He just copied and pasted it. He saved you one click.

-C

DarkFlameWolf
02-19-2003, 02:18 AM
thanks Idon'tknow! :D

Master_of_Power
02-22-2003, 10:03 AM
One of the things I'm TRYING to do with the combo cycling is making the doors in the BS-tileset to work like in the original BS Zelda, it may be me, but I think a cycling time feature should be implemented for use of this (unless someone has found a way to slow it down without stoping it completely)

ShadowTiger
02-22-2003, 10:30 AM
You know how in LttP in some rooms the floor falls out when you walk out it, or just after so much time? I'm pretty sure you could manage this. It'd be a pain to first set up the animations, but it could be done. You'd need a different combo for different timings, but it could reference the same animations as all the others once the timing part was through. -Fatcatfan's words..
I don't know... I tried this earlier, and due to the veritable instability of combo cycling, (alright, YOU phrase it better. T_T) some of the later parts fell before the first parts of the floor. I had everything pretty much constant, and then I Tried it with stretched frames to make it even, but it still pretty much worked totally randomly.