PDA

View Full Version : help file

idontknow
02-17-2003, 11:34 AM
EDIT:
if i were to volunteer to make a help file that includes all the new features of beta 182, would somebody be able to post it on the zeldaclassic (http://www.zeldaclassic.com) website for me?...also, would somebody be able to make it a downloadable file for newbies to download? i am willing to do this if it will be useful and also, perhaps maybe DN could use this when the next version comes out, & just add a few things about the next version....hmm?...what do you think?..i love helping out, if its going to be useful

Some Sections I'd definately include in the help file:
-Properties of & How to Use Lock Blocks*
-All about Combo Cycling*
-How to animate your combos*
-Using the Magic System*
-New Enemies
-The New Items*
-How to set up Din's Fire*
-All about slashing*
-Bush/Flower/Tall Grass Combos*
-Shallow Water Combos/Ripples
-Making Timed Warps*
-Initial Data Properties*
-Room Types*
-Linking Strings Together*
-Making Good Use of the Quest Rules*
-Autolayers*
-How To Make Layers*
-New Dmap Properties*
-Using New Flags
-Making good use of the Screen Data Menu
-How To make a simple Cutscene/Dialogue
-Tips on Various Treasure Chest Types
-Tricks/Illusions
-General Hints/Tips
-FAQs

*done

TheGeepster
02-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Those would be good to get a hold of. Has anyone started work on any of this? I am currently gathering data on how much damage and life the enemies have, as well as any other information I can get my hands on.

By the way, I noticed Gohma 4 doesn't seem to use fireballs like I thought he did. Any word on this?

idontknow
02-17-2003, 05:31 PM
i just randomly thought of doing this on my own...most of this could already be found on this site but i wanted to put this all together so that newbies, and anyone else who may be need help or advice, could have a reliable resource...if you made an updage enemy index, that would be great...i do need, however, somebody to help me upload this to the internet...

JayeM
02-17-2003, 05:41 PM
The updated help file for beta 182 is here (http://www.jayemason.com/quest) but an updated tutorial is badly needed, especially if it's illustrated like AlphaDawg's. The help file is basically just a reference that you can access from within ZQuest if you forget a detail or two. A tutorial actually teaches you how to use ZQuest. It's a big project and I'd recommend that you wait for the next official release rather than doing it for the latest beta. I don't expect the release date to be too far away. But you could start working on it now, I don't think there will be many changes in the release.

I'd be happy to help with the uploading, and could host it at the Quest Archive site if you like.

idontknow
02-17-2003, 05:44 PM
ok..well..i'll work on it...but could you, or do you know anyone who could instruct me in uploading a tutorial to zeldaclassic?

TheGeepster
02-17-2003, 06:03 PM
I'll try to get as many details for stuff as I can get. I did post something in the way of a small tip in the Editor Help for combo cycling timing using different settings for the combo animations.

Essentially the formula Time = #Frames x (Speed + 1)

Pathwalker
02-17-2003, 08:26 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Please, make it very step-by-step for the newbies. AlphaDawgs is so far the best I have found and I still get discombobulated (extremely confused) using it.

System Error
02-17-2003, 09:30 PM
If you can't understand AlphaDawg's basic tutorial, either you A) Need to learn better English or B) Need to get more familiar with ZQuest. :) Mess around with it a little yourself for the latter. I can't help you on the former.

idontknow
02-17-2003, 09:38 PM
AlphaDawg's tutorial is great...if you have an outdate version, that is...we need something better & thats my goal, to make something that would benefit even people who have been around for awhile but are confused by all the new features...

System Error
02-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Not me, I usually just try it out immediatly instead of asking what it does. Learning by experince is the best way to go for me.

idontknow
02-18-2003, 01:21 PM
alright so far i did:
-lock blocks
-locked treasure chests
-making combos animate
-how to cycle combos
-new items
-the magic system
-new room types
-shadows
-linking strings
-slashing
-screen flags
-New Flags
-New Quest Rules
-how to make layers

Cronic
02-18-2003, 01:31 PM
ZCN is more than happy to host for you, and help you get it up.

As for ZC.com Once your tutorial is finished it will have to be reviewed, and gone over before actually adding it for you.

idontknow
02-18-2003, 01:39 PM
well...my tutorial isn't really a tutorial persay; i mean, there's no pictures..or event fancy fonts & stuff..i'm doing it in Notepad right now, its just a rough draft...i could always copy & paste it though, however...

Cronic
02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Well I'm sure once it's done we could find a way to gussy it up for presentation if you wanted to ;)