PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Duality- Lantern Problem?

Qun Mang
02-16-2003, 04:10 PM
First off, great job with this quest, DFW! It looks like you put a lot of work into this.

The problem I'm having is that I just collected the lantern in level two, and it doesn't work! I looked at your readme to see if yours operated different than the original, but it sounded like it doesn't. I went to one of the pedestals in L2 to light it, but nothing happened when I pressed the button! No flame, no nothing. I'd like to think that I ran into some sort of bug, but there is no mention of this whatsoever in the big thread. What am I doing wrong? Is there some item I need to use the lantern (and if so, why is there no mention of this in the documentation)? Thanks.

C-Dawg
02-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Methinks you have the Blue lantern. It can only be used once per screen.

-C

Blonde799
02-16-2003, 04:17 PM
The reason it isn't mentioned is most likely because the lantern users have magic. Try getting a full magic meter first.:)

C-Dawg, are you an avatar chameleon or something?:confuse2:

idontknow
02-16-2003, 04:18 PM
um....do you have any magic?...being a newbie, you prob dont realize that theres a whole new magic system, which the creator has an option to set and then could make certain items consume magic in order to use...it most likely sounds like your trying to use the candle without any magic...

C-Dawg
02-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Blonde799
The reason it isn't mentioned is most likely because the lantern users have magic. Try getting a full magic meter first.:)

Oh, duh. Yea, I forgot about the magic system too- I never use it.

Originally posted by Blonde799

C-Dawg, are you an avatar chameleon or something?:confuse2:

Observant.

-C

System Error
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Magic system rocks! It's a great addition, and balances out the game and stops rupees from being drained too much with the Lens of Truth. :p

C-Dawg
02-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Yea, but it's a pain in the ass sometimes, since it limits how much you can use special items- breeds dependancy on the sword. And its hard to get more Magic :P

It's got it's place. But I'll never use it :)

-C

System Error
02-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Yeah, but killing enemies like the Tribble family can get Magic recovery items too appear, and there's always buying them in shops. Well, it's your choice not to use it, I won't try and stop you.

fatcatfan
02-16-2003, 04:32 PM
You need magic to use the lantern. If you didn't get the magic bottle from the guy in the house where you first start, or another from somewhere else, you won't be able to use the lantern at all. If you *do* have magic, you have a magic meter just below your hearts. It fills with a bluish color when you have magic. If it is empty, again you won't be able to use the lantern. You need to pick up a magic refill from any enemy (rare or nonexistant in this area of the game) or buy some at a shop.

-=[EDIT]=-
Sorry, when I first loaded this page, no one had responded. While I was reading another thread apprently everyone else filled in the details. So much of the above has already been said.

System Error
02-16-2003, 04:42 PM
You can find a shop somewhere in the far northwest part of the Level-2 area of Galea. It sells Magic recovery items.

Qun Mang
02-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Hmm. I *thought* that was a small magic bottle in that village shop. I even tried buying one, but it didn't give me magic and the lantern still didn't work. Also, since no enemies dropped magic, I didn't think it was part of the game. Yeah, I know SNES's Zelda 3 used a magic system for things like the lantern, but it's been a while- did you have to collect something in that game to initially get magic too, or was it present from the beginning? Ah, well. I guess I need to visit that house fcf mentioned.

I think DFW should have said something in his docs though. ZC *is* based on Z1, even though it now has Z3 inspired items. Because of this, it is not necessarily a given that magic is required. What the doc said sounded more like the candle I remember from Z1- no magic, or even rupees, required. Though I guess I should just be glad he included a doc at all to be confused by, eh? :D

C-Dawg
02-16-2003, 05:20 PM
*S*he, I'm told. Though at times I wonder.

-C

Blonde799
02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Another case of mistaken identity, oh how I loathe it.:reading:

Qun Mang
02-16-2003, 05:25 PM
She, then. I guess I stand corrected. Anyway, I just went back to the village and saw the old man. Sheesh. Now I know why DFW didn't bother to mention it. How I passed it up I will never know. *Now* I feel like a :newbie: . I'll just go hide in the corner now...

System Error
02-16-2003, 05:29 PM
You need magic upgrades to be able to buy magic. At your point in the game, one is found in the elder's house at the start of the game, the other is somewhere in Akslaver Caves.

DarkFlameWolf
02-16-2003, 05:45 PM
other than the one found in the house, ALL magic increases/upgrades can be found in the Askavar and Talag caves. And you can access EACH increase/upgrade after acquiring all items from each dungeon.
EDIT: To make what I said above clearer, after beating level 1, you should have enough items to find a second magic increase. After level 2, you should be able to get another increase. After level 3, etc....

System Error
02-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Except the Triforce, of course. You don't need that.

TheGeepster
02-17-2003, 02:00 AM
As for sustaining magic levels, you can buy small refills at shops after level 1 until you get to levels where tribbles or bats dwell. Magic does have to be rationed starting with Lev 2 (and the Blue Candle), but eventually it becomes ready available as dropped items. I think lev 4 is the first level to include magic-dropping enemies.

The items which use magic in HD are the candles, the wand, and the lens (did I miss any of them?)

I think the boots can also drain magic in some quests (when they're actively preventing damage), but I'm not sure. In HD, they don't use magic.

DarkFlameWolf
02-17-2003, 02:26 AM
and good thing they don't either! The boots suck up magic like a PARASITE!!!!!!!!! OMG! Dark Nation REALLY needs to tone down its magic usage.