PDA

View Full Version : Skies of Arcadia Legends

Mak-X
02-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Skies of Arcadia - Fina Rescue
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/skies_FinaRescue_2.wmv
(right click, save target as) | 3 min | 3.63 MB | Windows Media Player required

http://members.aol.com/captiann64/misc/skies_introyah.jpg

I got Skies of Arcadia Legends a few days ago, and I'm about 7 hours into it. So far, if your a Gamecube owner looking for an RPG to play, get Skies of Arcadia Legends, its a good game. It's a Dreamcast port, but the graphics have been updated a little and it still looks good. The script is well written, and the boss battles are good, especially with the way the music changes depending on the current situation. The above is a short 3min movie I made from a brief part in the game. Its a good RPG, rent it first if your unsure and then buy it if you like it, the memory card will keep your save. I could go into more about the game, but I'm kinda tired right now, maybe later.

(If the movie link is down, my site's bandwidth is up for the hour, try later.)

stormwatcheagle
02-16-2003, 03:43 AM
I always wnated that game. I think i'll get it for Dreamcast, much cheeper.

fatcatfan
02-16-2003, 03:52 AM
I saw this and couldn't make up my mind whether or not to get it. I guess I should give it a go.

Mak-X
02-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
I always wnated that game. I think i'll get it for Dreamcast, much cheeper.

Skies of Arcadia Legends is a better version of Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast, though not having played the original I can't exactly compare them. I do know from what I've read that the character models have been improve and the textures for the Gamecube version. IGN Cube's review lists this among other features

-Improved battle engine
- New "Wanted" battles, characters, ultimate weapons, discoveries, side quests and more

But not having played the original Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast, I don't know if there's that much of a difference besides what I can gather from the reviews though if the Dreamcast version is wanted instead.

Here are just the facts IGN lists for the game

-Classically styled RPG with turn-based battles, spells, numerous items, and all the trimmings
-Detailed storyline with new plot details
-Navigate the "Skies" in your airship and take part in randomly generated battles
-Explore six enormous lands ranging from deserts to the cold reaches of outer space
-Call upon the attributes of more than 70 weapons and 36 magical skills
-Cutomizable air ship crew -- gather up to 22 crew members to help defend or attacks
-Hand-to-hand and ship-to-ship battles feature
-Improved battle engine
-New "Wanted" battles, characters, ultimate weapons, discoveries, side quests and more
-Fantastic soundtrack
-No progressive scan support

Here's the IGN review
http://cube.ign.com/articles/384/384008p1.html

Here's the Dreamcast review
http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/165/165110p1.html

Gamespot's review of Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC)
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2909788,00.html

Rijuhn
02-18-2003, 12:15 AM
It's out already! Man, I've got to go to Blockbuster more often. I knew it was coming to the GCN, but I totally forgot about it until this thread, lol. :D

I don't read about release dates and game info as much as I used to because I'd alway ruin the "magic" for myself, so now I just wait until the game gets released and then I decided if it's fun, because there are too many really stupid reviewers on gaming websites. I still don't really know that much about Zelda except for the general knowledge, and I'm glad because I know everything is going to be brand new and exciting when I first play it.

LordMagus
02-18-2003, 01:00 AM
I got this game the day it was released. It's now one of my favorite RPGs.

I have a question for Mak-X or anyone else who has got far (this may contain somewhat of a spoiler):

Have you found the Black Pirate, Vize. He should show up in Nasrad after Vyse's rank becomes "Fallen Pirate". I'm at the end and he hasn't shown up for me yet. I'm assuming that it's a bug. I found 20+ topics about this at the Gamefaqs Message Boards and I'm wondering if any of you have had any problems with this.

Mak-X
02-18-2003, 01:45 AM
Not that far yet, have to put more time into this weekend to play. (skipped the rest of what you said because of spoiler)

I think I have 10 hours on the clock right now. I'm supposed to head to Nasir next for that Red moon crystal. Before I went there that angel of death bounty hunter kicked my ass, she's really tough. I guess I need to level up a lot. This game is really good in my opinion, I like it a lot, hope there will be a sequel and that this sells well. :)

here's some impressions I posted in another forum

There's a new bounty hunter character (my info comes from reading, I've not played the DC version) who calls herself the "Angel of Death". She's a bounty hunter who hunts Air Pirates. She left a note for me to find her and she kicked my party's ass, she's really tough at this point in the game.

There are actually slightly less random battles? I read that the team said they would lessen the amount of random battles but a review said it was unchanged, I guess they made it slightly less. It doesn't really bother me that much though, random battles are essential to RPGs and its a big part of Skies of Arcadia. So far this game is really good, I like it a lot. The characters have a lot of expressions, the story and script are well done, there's all the neat stuff in the battles like with the elements and Super Moves ("Cutlass Fury!!"), you fly around on a ship for the overworld, exploring new places. All Gamecube owners that play RPGs need to get Skies of Arcadia Legends.

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/soaworld/
This is a good fansite, I spent some time last night downloading the soundtrack for the Dreamcast version OST, I love the battle theme.

Oh man boss battles. The music actually changes during a boss battle depending on how well the situation is. If one of your characters is about to die or is dead, the music gets more dreading, and if you've gotten rid of half the boss' HP and your party is OK, the music gets better in sort of a good sounding we're winning theme. Its a very nice thing for boss battles. I also like the use of voice soundbites for all the moves, I think it adds a lot to the battle. If you watch the video I posted above, after right after Vyse uses Cutlass Fury for the first time against that soldier, that's when the music gets good in favor of your party. Doing a special move like that and having the music change is very cool.

Here's what Skies of Arcadia World list as the changes.

- Enhanced graphics taking advantage of the Gamecube's advanced hardware. Including more detailed battles.
- New events throughout the game.
- New characters! Including Piastol, a female headhunter out to get Vyse.
- Revised battle system. Enemies get stronger as you level up.
- Expansion to the current story.
- "Wanted" system lets you track down fugitives for gold.
- New backstories featuring scenes leading up to the events in SoA.

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/soaworld/Legend.htm

I have a Skies of Arcadia Legends wallpaper on my desktop right now from the Overwork's website. :D

EWild
02-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I also thought that there was a Director Cut's included in the game.

Mak-X
02-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by EWild
I also thought that there was a Director Cut's included in the game.

That's essentially what the game Skies of Arcadia Legends is, a director's cut of Skies of Arcadia. Read this

Rijuhn
02-21-2003, 12:49 AM
My Lord...I'm going to cry. If it's as good as you guys say it is I'm going to be happy when I play it. That deep soul fulfilling feeling when you play a great RPG when they get released. Like playing Chrono Trigger back in 1996 when it came out...whoo....I love that feeling.

SiliconHero
02-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Skies of Arcadia is my favorite Dreamcast RPG (although I admit I've only played three...that, Grandia II, and PSO). When I get the chance, I'm gonna pick Legends up for my 'Cube. :)

EWild
02-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X

That's essentially what the game Skies of Arcadia Legends is, a director's cut of Skies of Arcadia. Read this

Ah. Ah ha. I see. :)

Rijuhn
02-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I dropped by Blockbuster about an hour ago to see if they had it, but they didn't even carry the game yet. They did have Evolution Worlds though, but it was rented out. I'm going to get one of those 3 re-made RPGs sometime soon if I can, preferably before I get Wind Waker in a month. I need something to pass the time.

Parn
02-22-2003, 01:16 AM
My friend got it, we played it rogeth for about 12 hours. Hes about 30 hours into it now. I look forward to when hes done and I get to mke my own file. Its a great game, gamecube owners check it out.

King Link
02-25-2003, 09:25 PM
I think I'm going to get the game. It really sounds cool, and I was quite interested when it was on Dreamcast, but I never had that system. This seems to be an excellent opportunity.