PDA

View Full Version : Sword splash and Enemies

Kayin
02-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Could anyone tell me how (if possible) to animate the sword splash effects (when the sword beam hits the end of the screen). I've been hoping to make it a two frame animation, but only one frame works. Is it at all possible ?

One more thing. Am I daft or is there somewhere that details the info needed on the new enemy sprite tiles, as in where they go and what cset they use. It's taking forever to figure it out one creature at a time. Am I right it thinking that in general they use cset 7 and 8, and 9 for level colored ?

If i'm muffed and without a clue, let me know ^_^
Thanks.

idontknow
02-13-2003, 05:20 PM
why not just download a graphics pack that has tiles for all the new enemy sprites?...are you trying to make your own custom ones?...also, i dont think you could really edit the "sword splash" animation...it just use a certain hard-coded set of tiles..i think two tiles...and it automatically flashes...not 100% sure on this one though..if you just changed the current tiles that the splash uses, then i'm sure itd be fine...

Spike
02-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Of course you can... But I don't know the csets so I can't help you there.

Kayin
02-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Yes'um. The colors of the sword beam and splash change colors (flash between whatever you have the sword cset colored to, and cset 0 i believe). The flashing is ok i guess, But what i want is the splash is to not just be one sprite that flashes two colors, but two sprites that animate.

And just downloading and using an already made graphics pack would be just dandy, except i don't want to. I started compiling and making my own tiles (a touched up link, more animated items, diffrent colors whatever), but got to the enemies and it's just taking a while to figure out what csets they use. I should have thought of it before hand, cause now i have to juggle all the colors in the palette to make it all look nice-nice once it gets into the game. And i haven't even gotten around to adding background tiles yet. (So i feel i'm buggered, that's what i get for making it up as i go along ^_^.)

Neither of this concerns me too much though (just would have been nice to animate the sword splashes.....
<mumble mumble>

...ok, So I'm 99% sure you can't do what i want to.
I just checked the Descendant tile set, and although there are 2 sword splash images for most of the swords, they don't animate that way.

But I'm still horribly confused as to what is going on with thier cset cycling/flashing. It looks to me that (at least in the 1st.qst tilesets) the beams cycle numerous csets (which ones ?), but in the one I'm making, they don't cycle more then 1 cset (which i originally thought was from the sword colors to cset0).

Confused.:odd: Sleepy.

Saro
02-14-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't think there's any way to edit the sword splash icons. I noticed in James's Quest that there was no splash effect (could this be because of the sword's icon being changed?) If changing the splash effect graphics isn't already in, then there's an idea for next version - perhaps under the Game Icon entry in the menu (same place where you change Link's icon).

idontknow
02-14-2003, 07:59 PM
if ya mean theres a sword beam but no "splash", the tile(s) used for the splash are blank/transparent...if ya mean theres no sword beam, its because he set that up in Initial data/Quest Rules (forget which one)...the only way you could ever change the sword "splash" sprites is by changing the actual tiles they used...too bad theres no "splash" sprite...speaking of splash, i think we should have some sort of splash attack to use in water..it could be a new "method/skill" that you learn..and have a new room called "learn splash" and also a new room called "learn dive" (without going to this room first or setting it up in the initial data, you can't dive in water) Also, how about a "learn sword beam" room type...this would be good if ya didn't want the person to start off with the sword beam but had the opportunity to "learn" it later...

System Error
02-14-2003, 11:59 PM
That would be great. Learning sword beams and splashes...great...</Not Sarcasm> But yeah, we need to edit those splashes, for many reasons. For example, the only sword that can fire beams in my quests, the Magma Sword (Level 2), flings lavaballs. Sure, the lavaballs make a splash, literally, but an ENERGY splash? I don't like that. I like lava spashing as a splash for that. And I'm sure others have other such swords that you want to fire something that doesn't match its splash too. Maybe you want one that spashes into sparkles?

Spike
02-15-2003, 12:11 AM
Hmmm, or you could find out by taking like a thousand screen shots while it is breaking, go to those csets, add in the palette of the original beam so you can add those colors into it, then when it tries and cycles the csets it will but stay the same color. I don't know, just an idea, it may not even work.