PDA

View Full Version : Fucking SBC @%&^$&*@#^@&

MottZilla
02-11-2003, 05:30 PM
My fucking ISP is full of fucking retards and worse.

The modem that they sent me 2 years ago (got in sometime in 2001) has shitty fucking XP drivers so basically the internet would look better on the AoL 56k I had before.

Wtf. These people would NOT send me a new fucking modem? They wanted to CHARGE me 99$s for a new fucking modem? What? I'm already paying 50$s a month for their fucking service.

I really have about 3 options.

1. I can reinstall Windows 98SE. If I do this I might need help figuring out how to do so, although it shouldn't be too hard, but then I have to go and save all my important shit, such as my Ninja Gaiden 4 source, mp3s I don't have backups for, etc.

2. I can get a new modem, with the 99$s I don't have.

3. Get a new ISP? Not sure about that. I really don't know anything about the other ISPs in the area. I also don't know how much cable internet would cost or perform in comparison.

So anyway, what do you think? Anyone wanna buy me a modem? haha.

This is bullshit though. I like XP's stability, however it has a few incompatabilities I don't like. Such as for some reason now Midi's aren't playable? Funny though, now Unreal Ed for UT2k3 works but didn't in Win98.

Really, isn't it bullshit you pay 50$s a month for a service, and they won't even give you a free upgrade to your modem, WHICH IS REQUIRED, IT'S NOT BROKEN OR TROUBLE ON MY PART. THEIR DRIVERS FUCKING SUCK.

So anyway, if anyone has any pointers on reinstalling Win98SE, I think I'll just do that, as it's been quite awhile that I've not had decent internet. I have the full install CD and all that. It seems the ideal choice, as I could probably get things back in a day if not less.

Mak-X
02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Are there any drivers you can find and download and install? What's the name of your DSL modem? Maybe other people are having the same problems as you if you search www.google.com

Midis work fine for me in Win XP, and I have a Soundblaster Live! card.

Maybe there's a answer in this search

http://www.google.com/custom?cof=T%3A000000%3BLW%3A257%3BALC%3A900000%3B L%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.annoyances.org%2Fpictures%2Fl ogo_w.gif%3BGFNT%3A778899%3BLC%3A000000%3BLH%3A40% 3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BAH%3Acenter%3BVLC%3A778899%3BGALT %3A778899%3BAWFID%3A44eb362904258c40%3B&domains=annoyances.org&sitesearch=annoyances.org&q=dsl+driver

MottZilla
02-11-2003, 09:14 PM
I've actually tried every single driver that exists for the modem.

Nothing worked well on WinXP. I have just recently formatted and reinstalled Win98SE.

That was easier than I thought to do though. I have the same sound card btw.

Anyway, I'd just advise if anyone is looking to get broadband, and your choices are SBC for DSL or Cable, get cable. You will get no decent tech support from them. They are idiots.

Oh ya, and my modem is a "SpeedStream 4060" USB.

Mercy
02-11-2003, 09:24 PM
For what it is worth, I still use Win98SE and have found no reason to upgrade. '98 was such a staple for so long and is still widely used making various drivers readily available in most cases.

That sucks about your ISP, though. Have you considered talking to the Better Business Bureau about this?

m.

MottZilla
02-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Hm. What would they do? I hadn't even though about that...

Right now I'm on Win98SE, and actually it froze up a couple times initially/acted weird, although, oddly enough, such things seem to subside afterawhile.

Thunderbird
02-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Your ISP should be shot for sending you a USB modem in the first place. AFAIK, Ethernet modems work FAR better.

MottZilla
02-11-2003, 11:20 PM
I agree. Esspecially because if I had the internal modem model, I'm betting you I wouldn't have had any problem with XP.

mike5000
02-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Whoa! I heard the USB modems are really crappy, I also got DSL about 2 years ago, and I got the Westell Ethernet one. It works great and is compatible with every windows.

MottZilla
02-14-2003, 04:46 AM
Well, this one, on Win98, is just fine. The only thing holding it back is their service.