PDA

View Full Version : how do you make a custom boss

Kirbypuff
02-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a custom boss? All I need to know for now are the basics.

idontknow
02-11-2003, 04:38 PM
we get this sorta post all too often these days..can a moderator PLEASE freeze a post regarding custom bosses? PLEASE! i'll just say that you need the following "ingredients" to make a good custom boss:
-invisible enemies
-statue Combos
-layers
-custom tiles
-flags/triggers
-pit combos/timed flags
-combo cycling
-boss music
- damage combos
-CREATIVITY!
..just experiment to see how these things could be put to good use to create a decent boss...you could make the player have to shoot a certain target or part of your boss with a certain weapon in order to advance to another "phase" and using pit warps, warps you instantly to an identical screen where the boss uses "another attack"...also, enemies hidden by layers or "invisible enemies" screen flag, allow you to give life to your enemy...damage combos obviously allow link to get hurt if he touches the enemy...just use creativity...

Kirbypuff
02-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, I don't really know how to make a custom enemy either. I should have asked that first...

Spike
02-11-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't think the creator of ZC has yet implemented Custom enemies. I think he's talking about using the screen flags to make your enemies invisible. Not ACTUALLY changing them. Just making them invisible. But with the new type of invisibility which makes them look predetor like, so you can see a clear outline, you will probably want to put a layer over it. So the player can't see it at all.

idontknow
02-11-2003, 07:33 PM
exactly spike!...yeah, i didn't mean actually creating a physical new enemy..i just meant faking it by hiding enemies under a layer created by animated combos that use custom tiles...
----Example of Making a Custom Boss----
1. if ya had a giant scorpion, you could put it on layer 3
2. then hide enemies under it in the center and then block off the enemies by surrounding it with solid combos (on layer 0, underneath the scorpion tiles or whatever) this makes it so that you must shoot the "scorpion" where the enemies would be with some sort of item that shoots at some sort of range
3. Put damage combos on layer 0 in all spots that are underneath all combos that are at the edge of your Scorpion or boss
4. If ya want the boss to shoot fireballs, put statue combo(s) underneath it and turn on the "statues shoot fire" enemy flag. If ya want it to seem like it nocks rocks off the ceiling, turn on the "falling rocks" enemy flag. If ya want it to shoot boomerangs, rocks, swords, or magic, put either a goriya, octorok, stalfos 2/3, or crocktorok underneath it.
3. then, set secret flags on layer 3 over the scorpion and set the secret flags to a clear combo.
4. Next set secret flags under the scorpion on layer 0 and make the secret flags some sort of combo that uses the same sequence of tiles that the "Misc: enemy death" sprite uses
5. Then cycle the combo to a combo that uses the ground tile
6. Finally, put in your heart container (optional) and shutter(s) and set the enemy-->item and enemy-->secret screen flags...Vuala!!!

Spike
02-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Heh, very good job explaining it. Would be easier to read in step format. But hey, if I can understand it anyone can. :mischief:

Kirbypuff
02-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Ok, i'm going to practice making a boss. I'll tell you if I need more help.

Kirbypuff
02-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Sorry about the double post but I need to ask something- I am sort of new to this and I understand pretty much everything you said exept I don't know what layers are.

Ganonator
02-11-2003, 07:56 PM
next time, just hit edit. People will still read the post.

layers are where you can put tiles on top of other tiles. In the Data dropdown menu, go to layers. Pick a corresponding screen for layers above 0 - if you don't need more than that, don't pick those screens. Then when you are back in the editor, hit PgUp until you get the layers dialog. You can go from there.

just for the record, 1&2 are below link, 3&4 are above, but below flyers, and 5&6 are above everything

Kirbypuff
02-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Under my data menu, there is no layers option that I can find.

C-Dawg
02-11-2003, 08:21 PM
You wont have any if you're using ZC190. Go download ZC192 at the top of the ZC Discussion forum.

idontknow
02-11-2003, 10:38 PM
yeah...it is always key to designate what version you are using when you pose a question like this...you must have version 1.92..not sure what beta version but i suggest just downloading the current, latest beta-182...

Kirbypuff
02-12-2003, 05:14 PM
Ok, I just got version 1.92. So basically, to start out I should put the "scorpion" or whatever sprite I choose on a layer above link so he can see it, but not shoot it?

idontknow
02-12-2003, 06:05 PM
1. make a screen completely filled with blank combos (combos who's tile is completely transparent). Note the screen # and map # this screen is on
2. go to the desired screen that you want your boss to be in and go to the menu data...and click on layers
3. now, replace the 0s in the map # with the map # that the transparent screen was on and also replace the 0s for the screen # as well and type in the correct coordinates of that screen. Uncheck the box in the layer 3 column in the Transparency row. Click Done.
4. Now, press page up/page down until you see the #s 0 through 6, with boxes beneath them. All screens have layer 0 but only screens that you specify to have a certain screen used as another layer have layers 1-6 so since you had set layer 3 to a specific screen, there should be a circle underneath 3 (& 0 as well). Make sure the boxes under at least 0 & 3 are checked.
5. Click the circle underneath 3...now layer 3 is the one that all combos you add to the screen will be on.
6. Go to the combo editor. Make combos for all parts of your boss. I recomend a boss thats big enough to cover any enemies you use.
7. Back at the main screen, the circle underneath the 3 should still be filled. Now add the boss combos to the screen wherever desired.
8. Change the currently selected layer to 0 by clicking on the circle underneath the 0.
9. Make a combo that uses the same tile as the ground but make it a statue combo type. Add it to your screen underneath the boss if you want the boss to "throw" fireballs at you.
10. Make a combo that uses the same tile as the ground/floor except is a damage combo type. Place this undereath where Link would first come in contact with the boss.
11. Add any # of enemies you want to give "life" to the boss. Basically, these enemies will serve as the main targets for the boss. Remember that any enemies must be surrounded by solid, unwalkable tiles so that it doesn't come out from underneath the boss tiles.
12. Go the flag menu and place any flags that correspond to whatever enemy #(s) you have. So if ya have an octorok as enemy #1, select the flag called "enemy 1" and paste it somewhere beneath the boss tiles.
13. Make combos that look like the floor but are totally unwalkable. Place these underneath the boss tiles but also surrounding all enemies you have placed.
14. If ya have statue combos that you intend to use, check the enemy flag: statues shoot fire.
15. If you have secrets that appear or items that will appear upon beating the "boss" then check the corresponding screen flags.
16. Put in your shutter door combos so that link can't pass until the "boss" is defeated.
17. If you have version beta 182 or higher, then you could put flags on layers. Put the flag called "secret tile 0" (flag #16) on layer 3 (make sure the circle below the 3 is selected again) on top of all the boss tiles. Then make the secret combo for secret flag 16 for layer 3 a blank combo.
18. If you want boss music, make the boss room on a seperate dmap and link it to other dmap(s) via a scrolling side warp or a tile warp.
19. If ya truly want this to be a "boss room" check the enemy flag: boss room. I also suggest adding a roar sound affect by check the corresponding screen flag.
20. if ya have more than one enemy in the room and you do set the boss flag for it, then make sure the quest rule that says something like "Must kill all bosses" is checked.
21. If ya want traps in this room, you could have a series of combos that cycles between normal and damage combos or you oculd put in the trap combos or flags or check the trap enemy flags.
There ya have it...i think this is a pretty good (and fairly lengthy) explanation...ah..i'm all out of breath now & my fingers hurt...hope this helps just a little bit ;) oh yeah, can a moderator please freeze this post or something or at least make a new post regarding how to make a custom boss if you feel you have a better explanation? i cant stand to repeat myself and i'm sure others feel the same way...especially since custom bosses are repeatedly asked about...also, could somebody please make a very short demo (maybe only one screen big) that features a custom boss and is not password protected so that you could actualy show people how to make a good custom boss?...future thanx to any help out there!

Spike
02-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Uh... IDK, if you know how to do it why don't YOU do it? It'd be a very well known addition to ZC to have a tutorial on quest for people who are sick of asking this question ten thousand times. Besides, if anyone does make the tutorial on quest there will no longer be a need to clutter the top with old news, everyone can just get it at the the unofficial quest DB's. No questions asked, and if they are they will probably be a lot more easier to answer so some unfortunate newcomers won't be so confused. No that I wrote that I my lend my helpful hand to ZC history. Any suggestions what the boss should be? :D

idontknow
02-12-2003, 06:22 PM
hm...well.i dont have a wesite of my own yet & i dont have a place to host, nor to i know how to place, my quest on the internet for others to see..i mean, i suppose i could figure it out..plus, i haven't made a good custom boss yet because i dont have the resources (like great looking tiles & such) i do have some that i suppose i could use, but the combos would not be animated & the colors are a little off...so, again, i request that if you know of any place to get great custom boss tiles that fit in with the puretilest, then PLEASE direct me there....

Spike
02-12-2003, 06:48 PM
That's when knowledge gets you in the gonads. You know it, you've experienced it... Yet there's nothing you can do about it. Sucks doesn't it? Well, they don't have to be great or perfectly colored or anything anyway, it's just to give the person the feel of how to set one up, not to be like "WOW, I HAVE TO HAVE MY GRAPHICS THAT GOOD OR NO ONE WILL LIKE IT!" And a few months later they give up because they can't get them that good because they aren't quite experienced with tile making. So graphics aren't important at all anyway, besides, I could host it in my briefcase for u if i don't finish one now. Which I probably don't have the time for because of my quest, it needs to get moving... NOW! :p

Kirbypuff
02-12-2003, 09:21 PM
I think I actually understand what you said, Idontknow. I'll try it.