PDA

View Full Version : I need your help: Calvin and Hobbes

fatcatfan
02-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Okay, I've been trying to keep a full digital archive of the Calvin and Hobbes comics from www.ucomics.com/calvinandhobbes but they recently decided to only have the last two weeks worth available to non-subscribers. I had written a script which I would run occasionally which would check my archive and download any new comics which weren't present. Unfortunately, before I realized what ucomics had done, I missed more than a month of Calvin and Hobbes. So now I'm trying to recover those and fill in the gap. I can easily set my script to run automatically every week such that this will never happen again, but I must find some way to fill in the gap. I've tried the wayback machine at archive.org. No luck there. So if anyone has the image files from the c&h website for dates Dec 13th, 1991 through January 20th, 1992 inclusive (which were actually posted on the web eleven years after those dates) or can show me some other web archive from which I can obtain them, it would mean so very much to me.

theplustwo
02-11-2003, 03:06 PM
you could just buy the books, like the rest of us mere mortals..

Matteo
02-11-2003, 03:39 PM
fatcatfan.. is there any way for me to acquire what u already have from u???? I am a huge huge calvin and hobbes fan.

To attract and keep an audience, art must entertain, but the significance of any art lies in its ability to express truths - to reveal and help up undestand our world. - Bill Watterson

The Savior
02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
I have several C&H books that I could scan, if I knew what pages are needed (assuming that I have the correct ones, of course). The quality won't be as good as the ones on ucomics, but it'd be better than nothing.

stormwatcheagle
02-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Yes, are high quality scans acceptable?

fatcatfan
02-11-2003, 06:09 PM
oh I have the books, or at least between me and my brother-in-law we have them all. I *could* scan them I suppose. Flipping through the real books adds wear and tear, which is why I'm trying to keep a digital collection. And downloading them from ucomics.com was a lot easier than scanning them all in manually. So no one go to the trouble of scanning them for me (though I appreciate the offers).

mattwdr: as for getting them from me... I dunno... it *is* copyrighted material... maybe if I ever get my web server running again we can figure something out.

stormwatcheagle
02-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Well, you can send him anything he owns in book form.

Dart Zaidyer
02-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Judging from Watterson's horror stories about the syndicate's shameless sell-out nature, I'm surprised they didn't pull this stunt sooner.

I would help if I could, but I can't, So I won't.