PDA

View Full Version : Combo Animation - Incredible Wierdness

C-Dawg
02-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Apparently combo animation is alot more tempermental than I thought.

Here's my setup. All of the floor in a given room is made up of cells of the following sort: they are initially walkable combos, but then change into pit combos after about 80 tics. There is a Sword flag that the player can smack. Secret Flag 0 is set to be a floor combo that is a STAIR warp. The floor is covered with secret combos.

You can see what is supposed to happen- if the player hits the sword combo before 80 tics are up, he should go through a STAIR warp and not a PIT warp, right?

Except thats not what happens. If the Sword combo is hit, all combos on the floor are set to the PIT combo. They totally ignore the Secret Combo.

Thinking the problem was that Secret Flags automatically go to the last combo in any given cell sequence, I tried changing the PIT combo. I told it to animate over 0 tiles at 0 speed, and set the "next" combo to be the STAIR combo. This had no effect on the Sword combo problem- the PIT warps still appeared. The only difference was that now the PIT warps suddenly animated between PIT and STAIR warps incredibly fast. (The STAIR warp was also 0 tiles, 0 speed and the PIT warp was set as "next".)

This goes against everything we've experienced so far- why on earth are animated combos here animating without having at least 2 frames?! And what the hell is going on with the Secret Combos?

3. Ah, another issue. When instawarping between a series of rooms using the pit warps, combo animation is NOT RESETTING to being when the screen changes.

If it matters, this occurs on Map 51, on Dmap 122, which is a Dgn dmap. The freeform rule is checked.

-C

EDIT- Problem 1 solved. Turns out that the STAIR combo was still pointing to the PIT combo.. since problem 2 was making combos with 0 or 1 frame animate, it was quickly zipping to the PIT without me seeing it.

EDIT2 - Problem 3 solved, though I couldnt tell you how. Getting 1 to work seems to have fixed 3 as well.

idontknow
02-10-2003, 05:03 PM
i think the "Sword Flag" is buggy..i don't use it but thats what i've heard...apparently, it acts seperately from the other secret flags..

Spike
02-10-2003, 05:59 PM
A definite rehash needed for that little bit, and maybe for any brave enough who have actually discovered the 'unknowing secret' of combo animation, sword combos mysteries will write us up a nice little piece on it, eh? Maybe I will... Nah, maybe a little incentive would do though... :mischief: