PDA

View Full Version : I need some motivation...

Dr. Mutagen
02-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Well, I haven't worked on my quest in about 2 and a half weeks now. I really want to get back to working on it, but I apparently lack the motivation to do so. It seems like whenever I go into Zquest, all I do is listen to my mega collection of midis. I figure I should do what I did in my very early days of questing during the summer: Listen to a CD. I would listen to Boston all the time while I worked on my quest during the summer. Any other ideas to get my motivation back?

Ganonator
02-10-2003, 08:38 PM
what do you work best on - puzzles or scenary? if you are good at puzzles, start with some scratch paper and make a dungeon. if you are good at scenary, sit at ZQ and make an overworld. Its as easy as that.

Zaggarum
02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I am really tired of Zquest being related ot Zelda itself.... That my problem. Yes is it Zelda Classic, but a few have made quests nothing related at all. Come up with totally knew idea. Maybe a Mega Man or Golden Sun. ;) Me, look at my sig. Its a totally knew final Fantasy. Made up story and chatactors. It even has a battle screen.

Dr. Mutagen
02-10-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm pretty good at puzzles. As for scenery, it's tough to make it high quality since I'm using the classic graphics, but I try the best I can. My latest project was thinking up original names for the enemies. Some of them were kinda cool, yet others made it seem obvious that I was thinking them up off the top of my head. I really want to see what the final product will be like, but I tend to be an impulsive slacker when it comes to quest making.

Cronic
02-10-2003, 11:27 PM
I'd say verse yourself in the various ZC communities, and see what's all out there. Dabble in the QDB's a bit if youre stuck, and in time ideas and the urge to build have come back for me... maybe you to?

Pathwalker
02-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Try playing... one screen at a time with overworld or underworld scenes. Remember only play not work on the quest. save in a different file. later if a scene fits a quest add it. This will keep you a file of scenes for time like now. and by getting away from the actual quest, you will get over your slump sooner. This is the way profesional writers, researchers, teachers, etc. work.

SiliconHero
02-11-2003, 01:08 AM
If you need to keep on task, try listening to your MIDIs while you work. I think there's an option in ZQuest that lets you listen to MIDIs that you've imported into your quest.

C-Dawg
02-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Zaggarum
Come up with totally knew idea. Maybe a Mega Man or Golden Sun. ;)

Totally. I can't wait for someone to come up with a totally original idea for a game like "Mega Man" or "Golden Sun".... HOLYSHITBATMANTHATSO KNEEEEWWWW!

Might wanna clean that up, I got spam all over your shoes.

-C

Petoe
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Hehe. I'd say it helps to have a non-Zelda quest. I really enjoy creating my Megaman quest and I'm waiting to get it released because it just feels totally different playing it than a normal Zelda quest. But again, that's just me. :mega:

Dr. Mutagen
02-11-2003, 04:49 PM
My quest trilogy is Zelda related, but it's sort of "different" storywise. Of course, Ganon's still the main bad guy (Well, just in Contest of Courage). Anyway, thanks for the ideas.

idontknow
02-11-2003, 10:58 PM
how should one go about making a mega man quest, since they won't be able to have an arm that shoots bullets as the main weapon? if only there was a way to make it so that you could shoot a sword beam w/out having all hearts...hmm...

TheGeepster
02-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Actually, you can do that with build 182, idontknow. It's under Initial Data I believe.

Turn-A Gamer
02-12-2003, 12:13 AM
It's easy to get overwhelemed by the limitations of the system.

Dr. Mutagen
02-13-2003, 05:07 PM
I did some sprite altering on my quest yesterday, so I'm makin' progress! :)

Saro
02-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Here is how I work on quests: occasionally (every time hell freezes over, or sometimes in-between) some magical force compells me to work on my quest. I open up ZQ. I load up a MIDI. I load up my quest. I add one screen to it. I save and exit, and then the computer freezes and I have to let the computer rest because it won't boot up if I don't let it rest.

Yep, that sounds pretty good to me.

Zaggarum
02-13-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

Totally. I can't wait for someone to come up with a totally original idea for a game like "Mega Man" or "Golden Sun".... HOLYSHITBATMANTHATSO KNEEEEWWWW!

Might wanna clean that up, I got spam all over your shoes.

-C

Actully I am working on a Golden Sun quest. :D

Spike
02-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Hmmm... Well, when I get unmotivated, I guess you'd call it, I just take something a like to do normally, say, play a favorite video game or watch Simpsons (BTW, anyone gunna watch the 300th episode on FOX this sunday at 7:30?) and when commercials or a really boring part comes up I go through them, think about my quest a little. Then when I"m done with those I turn on my computer, see how things are coming by playing my quest FIRST, then start adding what I think is nessacary for it to go forward. Like too many rooms with monsters, HEY! A puzzle would be great here, I"m sure the player would be just as bored as I was here... Or, if you play your quest and YOU don't like what happens at places, then change it to your likings, it doesn't matter what the player likes, if you think it's good overall then most people probably will like it too.

Basically in short, go for it, if you think a long hallway with thinks shooting fireballs is kewl, add it! But if it turns out it needs tweaking to your likings or you don't like it remove it. That should motivate you, remember, ZC IS NOT GOD! You don't need to obey it's commands.

Dr. Mutagen
02-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Intersting ideas, Spike. I like 'em! :D I'm trying to add some laser blasters in Level 3 using the new combo cycling feature. I'll be sure to get that done before I release the demo (Which, if I wasn't in my slump, would have been done by now :rolleyes: )