PDA

View Full Version : custom bosses

idontknow
02-09-2003, 12:40 PM
alright, i know how to make a custom boss & have even made one myself but i want some ideas about what i should do...i have one set up using the puretileset...theres 4 sets of different dungeon tiles...in the fourth, there are these wall tiles that look like a pig's face...theres some small ones and a giant one and the giant "pig" i placed in the center top along the wall and hid "crocktorocks" or whatever behind them (using layers and stuff)...i made the pig tiles (2) a c statue combo... then a placed 4 pairs of additional smaller "pigs", each made up of 2 tiles, that are also c statue...i have a couple of zora enemies in the room in addition...most of the room, is water, except for an island in the center (my water dungeon, if ya haven't already guessed) the room is fairly hard, as there are a total of 10 statues, 2 zora, and then it takes lots of hits with the arrows to defeat the two crocktorocks, when they are defeated, the smaller pig statues stop firing (via secret flags) but the big one doesn't (since i already have the enemy placement flags there, i can't have any secret flags there)...first off do you have any suggestions on how to improve this?...should i have other enemies or is there a way to make multiple attacks and such? also, since the crocktoroks are stuck in the wall, they don't shoot the magic-how would i fix this so that shoot magic downward but cannot be seen?...also, what other ideas do you have for me to make more custom bosses? where can i get some cool sprites for them? cool boss music? what flags or enemies should i use, etc? i want a custom boss for my ice dungeon (so i want something like an ice mammoth or a snow man or something), my "magic windmill", my spirit temple, etc...also, i would want to use wizzrobes as the enemy to use for some custom bosses, however, how would i ever be able to trap them since they float?

Questwizard88
02-19-2003, 05:47 PM
I don't think there is any workaround for that one. Wizzrobes just do what they are supposed to do, and then teleport to a different location in the room. They just keep repeating this process over and over again, until you kill them.

Praethus
02-19-2003, 09:57 PM
If you give the Cracktorocks two squares to run around in behind the "pig" they will move and shoot. Example.

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.angelfire.com/games4/praethus/Example.GIF

Make the area inside the red box walkable, and the rest of the back wall unwalkable. The Crackies will walk around and fire randomly. If you layer the entire backwall you won't see any shots execpt the down ones. Also you have to have freeform dungeons on or they will still get stuck. Hope this helps.

C-Dawg
02-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Make sure you set up reflection tiles so that you maximize the number of shots that come out at the player.

-C

idontknow
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
reflection tiles? what do you mean by that?..how do they help maximize the # of shos?...also, won't the crocktoroks still get not move because even with the freeform dungeon rule checked, all enemies still won't go within 2 tiles of the invisible border...

Questwizard88
02-20-2003, 04:45 PM
I'll check on that one. Might be able to do it.

EDIT:
The Conclusion: They won't shoot at all. They just stay facing down and do nothing. :cry:

C-Dawg
02-20-2003, 05:05 PM
To make sure the Cracktorocks move, make it a cave. I re-iterate: theres no good reason at ALL to use Dungeon dmaps anymore except for temporary secrets.

By reflection combos, I mean exactly what I said. Use the Reflect /, \, and + flags to redirect cracktorock shots off to the right and left down at the player. Dont redirect shots that go UP back at the player or else the poor crackies will kill themsleves.

-C

Questwizard88
02-20-2003, 05:18 PM
I figured it out. Finally. The octorocks need at least a 2x2 tile block, not including the line of tiles closest to the edge of the screen. You stick the enemy flags to place the octorocks in the box you make behind the monster.

Example:
Flags:F
Magic prisms, not mirrors:P
Solid tiles:S

Top row: Empty
Row 2 : s f f s
Row 3 : s f f s (optional enemies)
Row 4 : s pp s

This is how you can do it. All tiles and flags are placed on the main layer. Add additional magic prisms if you want more of a challenge. The magic beams DO NOT kill the octorocks. I tested this method and it worked perfectly fine.

System Error
02-20-2003, 07:43 PM
C-Dawg, there is a reason to use Dungeon DMaps. Basically, the cave DMap is just like a mixture of the Overworld and the Dungeon DMap. BUT, the room connectors won't appear on the big map on the pause subscreen. Pretty annoying.

And what the hell do you mean by "Poor Crackies?" Cracktoroks aren't poor! They're rich bitches! Rich in carbolyatrades, with no fat, with just a touch of sugar for flavor...hey! Wait a minute! Wrong book! Okay, okay, Cractoroks are annoying bastards without the Mirror Shield.

Saro
02-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Dungeon DMaps are great for people like me who are too damn lazy to use any complicated tilesets and like oldstyle dungeons. I use them all the time. :tongue:

Questwizard88
02-20-2003, 09:18 PM
I didn't think about the room connectors not showing up on the subscreen map. I personally think the Cracktorocks are way too easy to kill.