PDA

View Full Version : What new devilry is this?

theplustwo
02-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Um, apparently Glenn registered zeldaclassic.net for zcn or something... isn't that like infringement? I know agn is non-profit, but I mean.. is nothing sacred?

DarkDragon
02-06-2003, 10:36 PM
I hadn't heard about this, but let me be the first to lodge my disappointment and disapproval.

If this thread ever makes it to General Bitching, let me know and I'll return with more... colored... commentary.

Cronic
02-07-2003, 12:02 AM
and the problem with that is what exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AG already owns ZC.com, and that hasn't been infringed upon by anyone :shrugs:

If AG wanted it they would have already taken it.

Gerudo
02-07-2003, 12:09 AM
this is a request to remove the address and phone number from gdorf's post, i dont think anyone would like to have their address posted...

Tygore
02-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Except anybody could look that up for themselves...

AtmaWeapon
02-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Well, all anyone has to do is do a whois on the domain. They are required to have an address and phone number and email there, so it's all public information anyway.

gdorf
02-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Well, all anyone has to do is do a whois on the domain. They are required to have an address and phone number and email there, so it's all public information anyway.

Exactly, it is not like you have to work hard at all to find it out. But oh well, if someone wants to harass him then I don't wanna be the one to supply the number. I'll take it down.

Verman
02-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Internet is first come first serve...

It has been that way since the registering began...hopefuly it never changes...

So if you got microsoft.com before microsoft did, to bad for microsoft...

Its not even close to being "infringment".

If Glenn wanted to he could register theplustwoisafag.net and he couldnt get into shit for that either.....Its the way of the net....

I like it like this.

AtmaWeapon
02-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Umm... I seem to remember reading about verizon suing over domain infringement in a 2600. They were able to get sites like verizonsucks.com shut down.

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/322

I want to know more about this "anti-cybersquatting act".

http://www.2600.com/news/view/article/298

Verizon backed down, but did send letters to 200 other domain holders with the word "verizon" in them.

http://eon.law.harvard.edu/property00/domain/legislation.html

The law on domain names.

Intent to divert to a site that could harm the trademark owner's goodwill - either for commercial gain or with intent to tarnish by creating likelihood of confusion as to source, sponsorship or affiliation, or endorsement of the site.

Sounds like ZCN to me. ;)

Cronic
02-07-2003, 10:11 AM
Lol, I'd love to see AG try suing over Zelda Classic...

I have to ask though... Why is this such a big deal?

Besides before you go throwing stones Glenn registered that for himself when he was talking over a plan with War Lord, and if you haven't noticed the address for ZCN is www.zcnetwork.com, and not www.zeldaclassic.net, but hey if ya think it'll help us out then maybe we should go ahead and put it to good use ;)

theplustwo
02-07-2003, 12:22 PM
It's not all that big of a deal, and I don't expect, or want, AGN to try and sue glenn or anything, I'm just saying, in registering such a similar domain name, he is probably just going to confuse people who want the real ZC site. I myself wouldn't have made such a domain purely out of respect for AG. :shrug:

NerdWarrior
02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
What is the problem? Who cares if Glenn registered it? DC pretty much said it. Whine all you want, it doesn't matter a pair of dingled fishsticks.

stormwatcheagle
02-07-2003, 10:05 PM
ell, as long as it's a Zelda Classic site, everything will be honkey dorey.

/me can't believe he just said honkey dorey.

Cronic
02-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by NerdWarrior
What is the problem? Who cares if Glenn registered it? DC pretty much said it. Whine all you want, it doesn't matter a pair of dingled fishsticks.

Another thing to consider is Glenn purchased the site while in talks with War Lord about a project completly aside from ZCN.

But I appreciate the common sense NerdWarrior... It's refreshing to say the least in a sea of zealots.

Maverick_Zero
02-07-2003, 11:49 PM
I, agree with NW (a rare thing), and DC, why do you care?

Cronic
02-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Maverick_Zero
I, agree with NW (a rare thing), and DC, why do you care?

Why do I care? I own ZCN man... And this isn't what we want, and it isn't what AGN wants. I just want it to be clear why it was purchased, and why it won't be used.

Edit... Whoops I didn't seeyour comma between "DC" and "why do you care"