PDA

View Full Version : Mindless complaining

Beldaran
02-06-2003, 02:32 AM
I am involved in a lengthy project in my math class involving parametric equations. I had eight data lists stored in my calculator that were the results of experiments done with motion detectors and geometric shapes. I was using these data lists to generate graphs and use regression to get equations for the graphs, then answer some analysis questions.

So I accidentally hit "Logistics Regression" (whatever that is) when in my data matrix editor. The calculator freezes up. I cannot do anything to break it out of it's frozen state. I try turning it off; nothing. I tried ignoring it and playing Counter-Strike; no effect. Finally, I remove one of the batteries. (mind you, not the lithium battery. That would have restored it to factory defaults and erased the calculator.) I merely removed one of the duracel batteries that are changed all the time.

So I put the battery back in and start up the calculator and it boots up as if I'm starting it for the first time. Uh oh. I check my variables; all data on my calculator has been deleted. Beldaran is about to recieve a 0 on a big project. That is bad. I am upset.

Herban_legend
02-06-2003, 02:49 AM
everyone knows that you never hit the Logistics Regression button

Beldaran
02-06-2003, 02:53 AM
I should have known.;)

Breaker
02-06-2003, 06:44 AM
... and what's to stop you from grabbing someone elses and changing the outcome a bit?

inori
02-06-2003, 06:49 AM
Never thought I'd see someone wish they had a backup of the data in their calculator...

Beldaran
02-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Breaker
... and what's to stop you from grabbing someone elses and changing the outcome a bit?

The problem is the project is due tomorrow morning, and there is no way I'd have enough time to find some one from my class, borrow their calculatar, print out screenshots of my graphs (part of the assignment) and write an analysis.

If your wondering why I was doing a big project the night before, it's because I'm irresponsible.:(

AtmaWeapon
02-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by inori
Never thought I'd see someone wish they had a backup of the data in their calculator...

I have backups for that reason. That and the drugwars clone I wrote over 6 months.

Sorry to hear about it, Beldaran. I really don't know why they put the Logistics Regression function on calculators; I've NEVER seen it complete its calculations.

deathbyhokie
02-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
That and the drugwars clone I wrote over 6 months.

the drugwars game i made about four years ago has traveled half-way across the state. i found people out here with the game on their calculator

Thunderbird
02-06-2003, 02:36 PM
Is that an HP calculator by any chance? I've heard they tend to lose data if abnormally shut off (read: not with the power off button :p).

Breaker
02-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

The problem is the project is due tomorrow morning, and there is no way I'd have enough time to find some one from my class, borrow their calculatar, print out screenshots of my graphs (part of the assignment) and write an analysis.

If your wondering why I was doing a big project the night before, it's because I'm irresponsible.:(

That sucks, try to speak with your teacher (if it's an asshole who doesn't like you, don't bother) and see about an extension on the project because of this. Maybe stay after school and do the experiment again.

DarkDragon
02-06-2003, 03:21 PM
What exactly were you trying to model? Depending on the situation, you could probably derive the ideal behavior, fudge the numbers up a bit, and present those as your observed data. Not quite ethical, but desperate times...

gdorf
02-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Well, as far as I know anything not kept in the (ti) calculators archives is deleted when you take out any battery. The lithium battery is just to preserve the archives.
Anyway, thats harsh. Sorry for the flunkage. :(

satanman
02-07-2003, 01:38 PM
harsh...
I hope that doesn't happen to me, I'll be doing maths, further maths, physics, and CS for A-levels next year (although I'll probably drop further maths after the first year; I'm not that insane) I get a calculator with 20% off or something. *hopes its one you can program games on*

Maverik X
02-08-2003, 12:33 AM
My calculator does that too. Whenever I remove one of the batteries, it erases my RAM, but not my archives, and I don't know why. I was lucky, however, to recieve an extra calculator from a friend who didn't need it, and I keep my backup on it.