PDA

View Full Version : This is awesome

Beldaran
02-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Invisibility possible? (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_747591.html?menu=news.latestheadlines)

Dart Zaidyer
02-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Right now it's just plain weird.

Breaker
02-05-2003, 03:09 PM
... It's not really invisible, it's basically taking a picture behind the object and putting it in front to give a transparent look. Infact, I believe that picture displayed was doctored and worded to make it sound like it's already been implemented;

"The photograph was taken through a viewfinder that uses a combination of moving images taken behind the wearer to give a transparent effect"

Beldaran
02-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Right, but I still think it is cool technology. We could take spy photographs and gather information that would otherwise be obscured by crowds and what not.

Of course, the technology is in its infancy, but I still think it has interesting potential.

Ganonator
02-05-2003, 03:16 PM
this would be virtually just like the jaguar in Die Another Day.. the technology is practically there, it just has to be implemented.

Verman
02-05-2003, 03:43 PM
It wasnt a jag that Bond was driving in Die another Day. It was an aston martin.

I believe the bald chinese bad guy was driving the jaguar....even though it beats the hell outta me why someone would want a convertable in the snow and cold......

just hadda let you know ;)

AlexMax
02-05-2003, 04:38 PM
/me dreams of Metal Gear Solid stealth camo...

Holy shit...very awesome...

MottZilla
02-05-2003, 04:46 PM
It's not even close to invisibility, and that sort of thing won't be achieved for some time. The idea would be to bend light around you, thus you wouldn't appear to be there if I remember correctly.

So... how do you make a suit that can bend light around you? Well... you can't in this day and age.

mikeron
02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
It's not even close to invisibility, and that sort of thing won't be achieved for some time. The idea would be to bend light around you, thus you wouldn't appear to be there if I remember correctly.

So... how do you make a suit that can bend light around you? Well... you can't in this day and age. There are plenty of materials that can bend magnetic fields, "shielding" whatever's inside. So, I wouldn't rule it out in the next 20 odd years. However, this particular method seems more practical for the applications mentioned in the article.

Shadowblazer
02-05-2003, 08:01 PM
The thing about bending light around you to achieve total invisibility is that no light would ever make it to your eyes. Since sight works due to the retina absorbing photons and translating those into an image, and your retinas would have no photons to work with because they've all been redirected around you to make sure nobody else sees you, you'd be blind as well as invisible ;)

Of course maybe by the time we figure out how to bend light around a person, we'll have developed a way to see while inside such an effect. ;)

bleh

/me activates his quicksilver gland