PDA

View Full Version : outputs

Ganonator
02-04-2003, 11:45 PM
I received a bass guitar in the mail from my bro, and it also came with an amp.. duh.. I was wondering if it was possible to hook up to a computer as a .. well.. another speaker for it.

has anybody have any success doing this?? thanks

Beldaran
02-05-2003, 01:06 AM
The only way to send the signal from your bass to a computer and maintain any tone is to get a direct box (just ask a music store employee what it is) and run that into your soundcard's line in. Make sure all the chords are stereo chords.

Ganonator
02-05-2003, 01:10 AM
thanks again, Beldaran.. i figured you were the tech guy around here, so i can count on ya there.

gdorf
02-05-2003, 02:08 AM
On the same note, I was curious about a speaker related issue. My brother has some subs/speakers and an amp for his truck that he isn't using, whould it be possible to hook them up to my computer?

By the way Ganonator, you'll love the bass. :)

Beldaran
02-05-2003, 03:05 AM
gdorf:

That depends entirely on the amp. You computer, assuming your soundcard is similar to my Sound Blaster Live, is capable of outputting a 1/8" stereo signal. Via adapters (avaliable at Radio Shack) that attach to a 1/8" cord coming from your PC, you can give your PC the ability to output either 2 1/4" jacks, 2 RCA jacks, 2 1/8" jacks. Provided the amp in question accepts an input that you can get from your PC, it will serve as a nice setup.

To give you an example, I am currently running my PC as such:

From the output on my sound card comes a 1/8" stereo jack that Y's off into 2 RCA jacks, which I plug into the stereo inputs of a mixing board. The mixing board outputs in stereo to two 500 watt powered monitors and a 1000watt poweramp/mixing head that runs into one 12" speaker and four 15" speakers. Basically, my sound system kicks ass.

gdorf
02-05-2003, 10:02 AM
From the output on my sound card comes a 1/8" stereo jack that Y's off into 2 RCA jacks, which I plug into the stereo inputs of a mixing board. The mixing board outputs in stereo to two 500 watt powered monitors and a 1000watt poweramp/mixing head that runs into one 12" speaker and four 15" speakers. Basically, my sound system kicks ass.

Yea, I remember you posted when you got new speakers, they did look pretty kickass :) I'd love to have my brothers system in here, but I'm currently using onboard sound, and I don't think thats gonna work out. Maybe when I get an actual soundcard I'll talk to my brother.