PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic NOT working (What happened to alleg.dll?)

Petoe
02-04-2003, 10:58 AM
I got a new computer today, and the first thing I did was of course downloading the ZC Build182 Windows version for WIN98SE. But when I try to run zelda-w or zquest-w, nothing happens. My computer just freezes. (I have downloaded the support file, so that's not the problem) :confuse2:

After that I unzipped "zc192b182w" again, and I noticed something odd. I clicked the unzip button, and then it said that 3 files unzipped succesfully. But when I checked my ZC folder, I only saw zelda-w and zquest-w...where did alleg41.dll go??? I repeated this several times, but alleg41.dll won't appear, and I think that's the problem why ZC won't start. Please help me, if you have any ideas WTH is going on. I just want to get my quest finished, and these situations are really #¤$*!@#! :(

VEL
02-04-2003, 04:58 PM
How much RAM do you have, and what speed is it? Also you could try the DOS version, it runs alot better on the computer I'm using, that has Windows 98.

Petoe
02-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Well, my new computer is much much better than my old one, so that can't be the problem (192MB RAM, 1150MHz).

The DOS version "works", but when I say "works" I mean that it's amost useless: No sound, in ZQuest it's too slow, and it crashes often. So I wan't to be able to use the win version, but it doesn't work at all. I ask this again: Shouldn't there be alleg41.dll file, because there isn't in my folder, and an odd thing is too that allegro.log's size is 0 bytes...I mean shouldn't it be bigger...?
I just hope someone knows what could be wrong...

VEL
02-04-2003, 07:27 PM
You could try downloading it from a different site. I think purezc.com and Breaker's FTP both have it.

Ganonator
02-04-2003, 07:30 PM
you DO need the proper support files that go with it. I believe they should be there in the post frozen at the top, and if not, I might just be nice enough to send them to you.

however, since I'm stupid and after re-reading your post, it says that you have gotten it.

Try either Win or Dos, the opposite of what you are using now.

DarkDragoonX
02-04-2003, 09:11 PM
1. The reason you can't find alleg41.dll is because it is an invisible file. You have to set your Folder Options to allow you to view hidden files.

2. I had the same problme when I downloaded ZC 182, and It's likely that your problem is your sound drivers. Make sure that the only program running your sound card is the generic microsoft volume control, as anything else can cause your system to crash when you try to run ZC. Also make sure that your midi device is either an MPU-401 compatible or Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

Petoe
02-05-2003, 05:04 AM
Make sure that the only program running your sound card is the generic microsoft volume control, as anything else can cause your system to crash when you try to run ZC. Also make sure that your midi device is either an MPU-401 compatible or Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

I'll have to say I'm quite dumb with computers, so how can I make sure that the only program running my sound card is the generic microsoft volume control? And how can I find out if my midi device is MPU-401 or MS GS Wavetable Synth?
And I just wonder why midis on my old computer sounded so poor and simple (beeb beeb...), and now all my midis sound really good and "realistic".
But I wan't to get the win version to work, because as I said the DOS version is barely usable. :(

Demimore
02-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Is the Zip file corrupt? It may not unzip the alleg.dll file if the Zip file is corrupt. Try re-d/ling it again, and if it doesn't work, that page may hold a corrupt file. Then try downloading it from a different page.

Petoe
02-05-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm a little impatient, but try to understand what is it like to have no ZC!!!:mad:
I found the alleg41.dll, it just was invisible, but I wonder why allegro.log is 0 bytes, isn't it important file after all? And this is strange: The Zelda Classic suddenly started working with sound and everything, but after that one time the same problem made a comeback (the computer freezes when trying to run the program)

And when I play the DOS version, it crashes often and it gives this kind of error:

Shutting down allegro
Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV
Page fault at eip=0011dc59, error=0004
Etc etc etc...

:confuse2: :confuse2: :confuse2:

DarkDragoonX
02-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah, this is IDENTICAL to the problem I had (although I never bothered with the DOS version). Anyway, check your taskbar. In the right hand corner, there should be a number of little icons. The one that looks like a speaker/megaphone is the generic windows volume control. There are probably a few other icons as well. Right-click all of them, and if any of the other icons EXCEPT the speaker/megaphone have anything to do with controlling your sound, close them. If you don't want them to reappear every time you start your PC, you'll have to open the Start Menu, choose "Run," type in "msconfig" (without the quotes), and uncheck the box next to the program in the Startup tab, and possibly the autoexec.bat tab as well.

To make sure you're using Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth or an MPU-401 driver, go to your Control Panels folder (located under "Settings" in the Start Menu), and activate the icon entitled "Multimedia" Click the "Midi" tab, and set your sound device to either of the aforementioned drivers for your midi output. This should fix your problem.

If it doesn't, then there are two possiblilities:

A. Your problem is different, bnut has the same symptoms (unlikely).

B. Your sound card hates ZC.

Either way, you might want to PM DN if this doesn't help. I'm sure he can troubleshoot your problem much better than I can, as he is far more familiar with how the program works.

Petoe
02-07-2003, 08:03 AM
No. The god damn win version still doesn't work. I thought the problem might have been my Firewall, which causes trouble when using eg ZSNES, but that wasn't the problem. I'm too tired to fight with this problem anymore. My only option is to use the DOS version...

DOS version works, BUT so slowly that I won't get my quest ever finished if I don't find a solution to that problem. When I use zquest, it starts normally and everything is ok. But when I change a map or palette, it takes at least 15 seconds to do that. So if you think about that, it takes over 2 minutes to go from map1 to map10!!! Why it is soo slow???
And the sound effects work in DOS version, but the music doesn't. Why? The volume of the music is 255, so that's not the problem.

EDIT: Come on! Anyone??? Mega Man quest will be awfully alot delayed because of all of this...

SiliconHero
02-09-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm just re-downloading the current Windows beta, and I can run the Quest Editor and the Grabber, but I'm unable to do anything with zquest-w.exe. When I try to run it, I get "Zelda-w.exe has caused an error in Alleg41.dll", and the program shuts off on me. What should I do? I want to play some of the new quests...

Pathwalker
02-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I had a problem like this when I first d/l to this comp. I deleted the newbeta program (saved zip) then i down loaded the 190/163 win files started them. when I down loaded the beta afterwards It worked. (shrug might work for yours.) I don't know why it worked but (happily) it did.

Verbatim
02-10-2003, 04:24 PM
First of all, try running msconfig, and using it to turn off all your programs that run automatically at startup...some of them show up in the taskbar, others are running in the background without giving you any visible clues that they are.

To run it, go to the start menu, and choose "run..."

Type in "msconfig" (without the quotes, of course) and hit enter.

When the program comes up, click the "startup" tab. You'll see a lot of check boxes for different programs that run at startup. Uncheck all of them. Restart your computer.

Run ZC.

If it works...
you know that it was one of the startup programs that did it. Start up the programs that run at startup one by one, checking each time whether ZC still runs right. When it stops, you know you've found the program (or one of the programs) that cause the problem...just leave that one turned off in msconfig, and you should be fine.

If it doesn't work...
It's not over yet...there are a number of programs that automatically re-set themselves to run at startup if you turn them off with msconfig. Run msconfig again, and see if anything is checked on the startup tab. If so, it means you have some poorly programed or some dangerous software on your computer. Either way, it's best to un-install the offending software, since both kinds are bad for your computer.

I know Banjo Buddy fought tooth and nail to keep from being disabled at startup (Was that the name? The stupid surfing purple ape that made wisecracks at you...my step-brother installed it on his computer). I'm not sure whether it fought being turned off because it was spyware, or just poorly programmed, but...since it used sound...something like that might take control of your sound card and not give it back.

Try again once you've gotten rid of any offending software and restarted your computer...if you've checked that nothing is set to run at startup, and you're still having problems, it's not a conflict with other programs, it's an issue between ZC, Windows, and your hardware.

As far as checking compatability for your soundcard...get ahold of a copy of AGsetup (by downloading ZC 1.90 if you don't have it)--running that will let you know what kinds of sound support your computer has that are supported by ZC, and let you change them, if the problem has anything to do with the default choices that ZC made when it generated ag.cfg.

When you run it, click on the midi driver button (since it seems midi's the problem). Everything with a ^ next to it is available on your system. As mentioned before, MPU-401 is the best, if it isn't available, or doesn't seem to be working for you, pick something else from the list. Some midis will get quite garbled by the less capable settings, but I think there's one or two other settings that can handle high-quality midi...try a few, if MPU-401 won't work, until you find one that does.

Petoe
02-11-2003, 07:18 PM
That's a lot of helpful info. But I tried and tried everything, and nothing happened. Then suddenly a few days ago ZC started working again just like that. Weird but wonderful. Though it still freezes sometimes when trying to start the program, at least it WORKS so I don't complain anymore. :mega:

Foxx
02-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Well, whatever you fiddled into working order, congratulations. :cool: