PDA

View Full Version : Layers and no-pass combos

TheGeepster
02-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Can Link move through a square if it has a no-pass combo placed on layer with a block tag? Just curious. This would make combos so much more easy if it works like I think it does.

Blonde799
02-03-2003, 04:47 PM
So you're asking if you can move on a walkable layer, when layer 0 is unwalkable? If so, you can't. I think it's a bug, as you could do it in past builds.

TheGeepster
02-03-2003, 05:15 PM
My thought was to reduce the number of combos needed by breaking up the combinations of walkable ground and fixed ostacles which may have seethru parts. It's kinda confusing perhaps, but it would work something like this.

Layer 0 - Any movable blocks
Layer 1 - Water tiles which might be visible
Layer 2 - Ground tiles and any obstacles with flags on it.
Layer 3 - Solid statues, trees, etc.
Layer 4 - Any parts of statues, trees, etc that Link could walk behind
Layer 5 - Effect combos

The biggest downside would be that any solid obstacles that something would happen to would have to be treated special, but it would use one combo in place of 3 or 4 simlar combos with slightly different ground showing (grass vs sand for example).

Now that I think about it, I could use layer one for ground/water, and layer 2 for any obstacles, and avoid using non-walkable combos for overhead layers.

Verbatim
02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
You have to use layer zero for all combos you want to be active...so water has to be on layer zero, slashable & poundable combos have to be on layer zero, etc.

As far as walkability, you should be able to walk anywhere that isn't solid on layers 0-2. Solidness takes prescedent, it doesn't matter what is on top of what.

Also, all active flags must be on layer zero. You can have flags that change on any layer...but they will be triggered only when a flag on layer zero is triggered. So you can have a forest that burns down, but only starts on fire if you light a certain tree, for example...you put the forest on layer one, and cover it with burn flags, then put one burn flag on layer zero at the point Link has to burn it to make things happen.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you don't need an additional layer, don't use one...it takes up computer power, and your quest won't run well on as many computers the more layers you use...

A better plan would be:

Layer zero: everything you can fit in without causing problems. All combos that you need to fulfill their regular roles go here--water, dock, slashable, etc. If it has a combo type other than none, it goes on layer zero.

Layer one: walkable ground/floor, but only if you have pushblocks that go across either multiple different kinds of floor tiles, or that don't fill up the whole tilespace (ie, they have clear space around them that needs to show the ground underneath, like pushable stones).

Layer 2: nothing. Nothing whatsoever...you could pretty much take this one out of the game without impacting what you can do as a designer. Sure there are things you can do by putting stuff here...but it's usually just wasteful, it could be done with just layers zero and one, and have lower system requirements.

Layer 3: Stuff that goes over Link & his enemies, but under flying enemies.

Layer 4: Nothing. This one's more useful than layer 2...because there are three layers for under Link, but it's still mostly dead weight.

Layers 5, 6: Clouds, lightning, rain effects and anything that needs to go above flying enemies goes here. Having two layers is actually useful here, for having lightning and rain, for example--with our limited Csets, it makes sense to draw them separately, and it makes the two separable.

TheGeepster
02-04-2003, 12:09 AM
OK, Thanks Verbatim. This'll help me reduce the number of combos I need.