PDA

View Full Version : some Zelda discussion

Ganonator
02-02-2003, 03:36 PM
I was looking at that interesting screen of Celda that was posted here, and I was beginning to wonder the direction that the zelda series is heading.

First of all, i understand that there is supposed to be some sort of timeline that the whole series follows, and there should be some similarity between games.

Well screw it.

Remember when zelda 1 and zelda 2 didn't have anything in common except a princess in peril? she didn't talk until the end, which was the best part. However, places and enemies from that game have yet to appear in another zelda game. There is no thunderbird in Z3. In LttP, there was originality with a full functioning Zoras domain, which was brand new at the time, with an extensive mountain region, Kakariko town (new at the time!!) and others.

Now its time for some re-introduction by our friends at nintendo

OoT was beautiful. It introduced new locations like the Deku Tree, Lon Lon ranch, the works. It kept some of the old locations - lake hylia, death mountain, hyrule field - which worked great because they fit in the series. From THAT significant moment, the series has gone downhill. However, realize that the names of the characters in that game were perfectly planned - they are the names of the towns in Z2.

- i'm not mensioning LA because that game was so far out of the series, i can only just wonder - and look like this >> :odd: -

now the games are losing something. The oracle games had gorons in them. Why?? the dev team couldn't think up anything new to put in?

I just am concerned that the game will lose its cutting edge and go the way of previous ones. This is true w/ Mario, where Yoshi is now in every game. He was a son of SNES. Keep him there.

So looking at the new pics with the Deku Tree, I just wonder why nintendo can't be original like they used to be. Sure you can put in lost woods or lake hylia - which i do expect to be in the next one. But if I happen to see Gorons and Deku nuts, i just don't understand why. The series needs to grow up. I've been waiting for a rematch of OoT since that fateful afternoon on November 22nd.

El Oso Verde
02-02-2003, 03:45 PM
So are you trying to say that the series should only use places and characters that were in the first 3 games? Isn't that a bit limiting?

deathbyhokie
02-02-2003, 03:52 PM
no what he's saying is that they shouldn't. that they should come up with new locations and races to keep the series fresh

Ganonator
02-02-2003, 04:15 PM
exactly. Every time they use a previously used item, it loses just that much more.

NerdWarrior
02-02-2003, 04:16 PM
That's like saying I should fuck with a dog to keep the population fresh and new.

Mak-X
02-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Uh... better do some reading on these 2 pages.

Storyline of the Zelda series
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/storyline.html

Information on the placement of the Games
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/makzelda/placement.html

If anyones curious about The Wind Waker, it takes place 100 years after Link sealed Ganondorf away in Ocarina of Time.

As for reusing stuff in the Zelda games, they are sequels after all, they're suppose to. I expect to hear new versions of music themes, use bows, boomerangs, and hookshots, fight stalfos, octoroks, and leevers... There are Gorons, Zora's, and Dekus in Oracles because they were introduced in Ocarina of Time, and have become apart of the Zelda universe. Where there's mountains, there will be Gorons, goro.

Tygore
02-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Exactly. I mean, I'm all for new stuff (SUBROSIANS ROCK!), but let's at least keep it feeling the same. THere needs to be enough connection so that you can say "Hey, this is a Zelda game!" if you play as Link in his blue pajamas.

Matteo
02-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah i think i agree.. the new games don't "feel" new except in the sense of a rehashing of tried and true zelda stuff.. Granted they are fun but i simply haven't gotten a boner over zelda since ALTTP came out...u know why? because the greatest thing about zelda games where the fact that the items that u collected were the most important part of the game... granted they still are but I feel like the excitement of getting a new item so u can unlock another world is long gone in these new games. I for one want some new characters... weapons... etc.

Ganonator
02-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
As for reusing stuff in the Zelda games, they are sequels after all, they're suppose to. I expect to hear new versions of music themes, use bows, boomerangs, and hookshots, fight stalfos, octoroks, and leevers... There are Gorons, Zora's, and Dekus in Oracles because they were introduced in Ocarina of Time, and have become apart of the Zelda universe. Where there's mountains, there will be Gorons, goro.

I never said i didn't like the weapons and items from old zelda games. Those were the best part. They should explain how some came together, i.e. Cane of Byrna and Somaria. Maybe explain how the great faries came to be. It seems the storylines lose more and more with every character that comes into the game.

allyourmoms
02-03-2003, 02:34 AM
:confuse2: :odd: :confused:

are you serious?

*looks back at everyone else* is he serious?

dude, your not makin sense. how can you say you dont want some things from zelda, but you want other things?

and there are huuuge similarities between zelda 1 and 2, like the fact that its a continuing story.....you can even see where the old game took place on the map of zelda 2.

the DID explain whre the great fairies came from in ocarina (didnt they???)

so you want new things? how bout link is this spy.. and its placed in the future hes stranded on this strange alien world, and he has has to shoot an alien race thats after him, and he can steal their vehicles and do all sorts of crazy stuff.

:blah:

Ian
02-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Yah having Gorons in WW completely ruins it because I hate them. Why won't they kill off one of the main species of Hyrule? It's no fair.

personally, this looks like it belongs in GB, becuase this is just a rant about how you don't like things in the Zelda series. but oh well

Why would you not want Gorons in WW? They were introduced in OoT, and they've nly been in a handfull of games. But with your logic, I'm suprised they haven't gotten rid of Link, or Zelda or even Ganon. I mean, they've been in Zelda way too long, and they're just old now. They should make a brand new main charcter and completely ruin the whole zelda series becuase it was built on these, and other characters. Fact is, Gorons are a part of zelda, just like zoras, dekus, and poes. BTW, deku nuts were only in OoT (posibly MM, I've never played it much)

If you don't like Nintendo keeping Gorons or Deku nuts or the great Deku Tree, then don't play WW. Though you'd have to be a baby to not play a game because you don't like an item or character thats in a game. If you don't play WW, I'm sure nintendo's not going to cry over it. Live with it.

Yoshiman
02-03-2003, 06:50 PM
If you got rid of Zelda, The game wouldn't have a title!

Ian
02-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Yoshiman
If you got rid of Zelda, The game wouldn't have a title!

exactly. He's copmplaining about gorons and being over used and getting sick of them. And yet, they've only been around for a few games. And yet, Link has been in all of them, and he's not gotten sick of him.

Fiyerstorm
02-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Why even worry about all that mess? It's a game, enjoy plz.