PDA

View Full Version : Centering?

Dark Lord
02-01-2003, 07:41 PM
I have a dungeon that is longer on the x rather than the y, so is it needed to center my dungeon? I know because when it appears on the dmap, if I try and center it, half of it isn't even on the screen anymore. It take upp all of the screen on the bottom left hand corner of the DMAP setup, so should I leave it as is? Thanks!

Saro
02-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Maybe you should try reducing the size of your dungeon... the final dungeon in Z1 didn't take up space to prevent it from being centered, and it was pretty long. At least, I think. :computer:

TheGeepster
02-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Dungeons can only be up to 8 sceens wide and tall and still fit on a dmap. (That's 128 combos wide and 88 combos high). Any more and you have to split the dmap. Overworlds can be up to 16 screens wide and I'm not sure about caverns.

Make sure you have each dungeon room color selected to make centering it easier. (For instance hit 1 on the numpad for every room in Lev 1, and it should be readily visible on the dmap screen when you slide the bar to fit it all in.)

Dark Lord
02-02-2003, 05:37 PM
How do specify split it?

Saro
02-02-2003, 07:02 PM
I don't think there's any official way to 'split' it... what I think you have to do is just create 2 DMaps and give them the same title. You could set this up kind of like the Skeleton Forest dungeon in ALTTP.

TheGeepster
02-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Something like Saro suggested. Go ahead and make the map up, then put one half on the first dungeon Dmap, and the other half on the second dungeon Dmap. I do believe that ought to work.

fatcatfan
02-02-2003, 10:59 PM
By using warps of some type to switch to the other "joining" dmap. Give the second one the same level number and things such as the map,compass, and boss key will carry over.

Dark Lord
02-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Speaking of that, if I wanted to make a mini dungeon, couldn't I number it like 1M, 2M, etc. and still have it work? Cuz I know if you don't number it, then when you enter, your on the top left hand corner, and when it's numbered, it enters correctly.

TheGeepster
02-03-2003, 01:58 AM
You just have to set your warp entry and stair entry points and your problem should be solved. Use PageUp/PageDn Until you see 5 tile-sized icons. The third should resemble a warp of sorts, and the fourth should have an "alpha" and an "omega" in a green square on it.

The first (the rupee) is item placement, the second is where a staircase should appear if you've enabled secrets, and the last is one of the flags from the Flags menu item (whichever was used last most likely)

Verbatim
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
One other note about using two Dmaps for a dungeon: you can avoid continue bugs by making sure the two halves are on the same physical map. Then you can just use side-warps between the two, and when you die you'll automatically start at the entrance room if you choose continue--even if you're on the other Dmap.

There is just one problem though: if you die on the second Dmap (the one that doesn't have the entrance room), you'll end up on the right entrance screen, but the wrong Dmap. It's easy to fix, though--make some "Pit" combos that look just like the floor in your entrance room, and put them so that Link has to cross them in order to go into the dungeon. Set the tilewarp to bring Link to the screen he's on, and choose "instawarp" from the menu. When he steps on them, if he's on the wrong dmap, he'll get switched to the right one, but the player won't notice anything, unless they notice that the map was messed up and went back to working right.

Spike
02-03-2003, 08:10 PM
You wouldn't really need a dungeon two dmaps big anyway, I think one is just fine, and if you use two, you may be pushing it. On the topic. For centering just use side warps like the others said.

Saro
02-04-2003, 12:35 AM
Verbatim, you seem like you know everything, but I never actually take the time to read through your posts, so I never understand anything... :odd: Oh well.