PDA

View Full Version : Continue buggies

NerdWarrior
02-01-2003, 06:22 PM
In my two floor dungeon, when I die on the other (not the main) floor, it keeps me on that DMap, but respawns me at the correct position. I have cont. here checked on the main, but not the bottom floor. Argh, I hate this! Can any of ya help?

jman2050
02-01-2003, 07:06 PM
That's the way Zquest works. Cont. here is for when you save. Normally, when you return from saving, you'd start on Dmap 0, but if you are on a Dmap with cont. here checked, you'll start there whenever you start a saved game. Also, when you continue after dying, you will always start on the last Dmap you were on. Don't like it? Simply make the continue screen of your second floor full of warps to the main florr of your dungeon. Of course, I don't know if this will work or not, since ZC is designed to continue you at the last point you did an entrance/exit warp. Maybe someone else can expound on this?

Verbatim
02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
I think what you're encountering is the result of having the two on the same map--you have two options--since you're already getting sent to the right entrance room, you can put a couple pit-warps in front of the door to your entrance (make them look just like the tiles you have there now, just make them be pit-warps), and set the tilewarp to instawarp, and make the coordinates bring you back to that screen...when you go through the warp, you end up in exactly the same place, facing the same direction---the player can't tell the difference. But the Dmap will change to the right one if it's off.

It also happens automatically as they enter even before they move, if I'm right, so the wrong level map should only display for a moment. I know pit-warps don't work that way usually...but when I was using similar tricks with stair warps back in 1.90 (I never released my innovations...there wasn't enough time before the first beta came out for me to make a quest with them), it happened automatically when the player walked into the room, and I'm pretty sure stair warps don't usually work automatically either.

Oh, yeah, I mentioned two options...the other option is to move the non-entrance floor of your dungeon to a different physical map. What happes then is you end up at the absolute coordinates location of your last entrance/exit warp but on the map (as well as Dmap) you died on. In that case, construct a fake entrance at that location, and put some pit-warps in it that warp you back to the real entrance room.

It's more effort, and doesn't get you any benefit in this case, but if you make a three-floor dungeon, you need to know this trick in order to get back to the entrance room without problems.

I'm working on a continue-bug tutorial and tutorial quest at the moment...so if you have any more trouble with continue bugs, feel free to PM me about it...if there's a situation I haven't considered I want to know about it.

NerdWarrior
02-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Ok, I fixed it for my lower floor, but it's still buggy on the main floor. Could someone send me an example? Send it to TheHunter446 at aol dot com.