PDA

View Full Version : RIAA "hackers"

fatcatfan
01-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Okay, I'm almost certain there was already a thread about this, but "search" isn't finding it so I'll just post this.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/01142003d.php

They're making big claims. I personally don't see how what they claim to have done is possible. I think they're just trying to scare people.

AlexMax
01-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Old news.

And if they want to 'hack' us, they better secure their own fucking servers. They just got hacked pretty badly just recently. Fucking classic.

Beldaran
01-31-2003, 01:54 AM
It would seem the IRAA thinks they are the only ones with the ability to commit digital sabotage. If they enact these policies of personal invasion, it will be interesting to watch the reaction from the hardened underground computer pros that live in their basements writing code all day.

MottZilla
02-01-2003, 07:08 AM
Funny how they think MP3s can be "infected" with viruses when they are not executed code and just audio data.

And again, they are talking about "hacking" P2P "networks"? The RIAA should be shot simply for not knowing anything about PCs and trying to blame them because they don't have all the money they think they deserve. pfft.

KingArthur
02-01-2003, 03:00 PM
haxx0r the dumb-asses, seriously, who do they think they are, and what gives them the right?

fatcatfan
02-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, Mottz, it's theoretically possible, but the mp3 must be specifically designed to cause a buffer overflow for a particular decoder software. A buffer overflow can overwrite the code segment, basically allowing the hacker insert his own code into your running process. This exploit happens in many forms, often with IE. But their claims are still far fetched.

Ich
02-02-2003, 03:04 AM
I have a feeling that the defects will be inserted into music that they are sure is copywritten and are sure will be downloaded. I don't download full length movies, I download music that's not even mainstream in Germany, where it's from.