PDA

View Full Version : Master Chief Versus Super Mario

Cronic
01-30-2003, 06:13 AM
The winner is!

Tommy Verceti.

Th eUS year in games sales chart was released, and here are the numbers for the year 2002.

Originally posted by at Gamespot
Rank / Platform / Title / Publisher / Released / Average Price
1 / PS2 / Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / Rockstar / Oct '02 / $49
2 / PS2 / Grand Theft Auto III / Rockstar / Oct '01 / $50
3 / PS2 / Madden NFL 2003 / EA / Aug '02 / $49
4 / GBA / Super Mario Advance 2 / Nintendo / Feb '02 / $29
5 / PS2 / Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec / SCEA / July '01 / $24
6 / PS2 / Medal of Honor Frontline / EA / May '02 / $50
7 / PS2 / Spider-Man: The Movie / Activision / Apr '02 / $45
8 / PS2 / Kingdom Hearts / Square EA / Sept '02 / $49
9 / Xbox / Halo / Microsoft / Nov '01 / $48
10 / GC / Super Mario Sunshine / Nintendo / Aug '02 / $49

Halo edged out Mario by just a little bit... Although I'm very suprised not to see Super Smash Bros Melee.

I'd also be lying if I said I agreed with the PS2's overall strangle hold on the industry... Seeing Spider Man the movie in there all but makes me want to puke and Madden has yet again proven to me that the masses have little to know interest in an interesting game -_-

1 / PS2 / Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / Rockstar / Oct '02 / $49
2 / PS2 / Grand Theft Auto III / Rockstar / Oct '01 / $50

All I can say is the follow up had better be one hell of a game. The pressure right now has to be on Rockstar in a big way.

3 / PS2 / Madden NFL 2003 / EA / Aug '02 / $49

-_-

4 / GBA / Super Mario Advance 2 / Nintendo / Feb '02 / $29

This is understandable as even though I hate my Gameboy Advance (haven't turned it on since a week or so after I bought it 2 weeks after it's release) I actually own and have played through this. My GBA btw is Japanese and is identical to the one released here (lemme know if you would like to see a shot of the box it came in) This was bought locally believe it or not.

5 / PS2 / Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec / SCEA / July '01 / $24

I'll never understand americas fascination with Racing games

6 / PS2 / Medal of Honor Frontline / EA / May '02 / $50

I'm also curious how the other consoles did with sales on this one...

I found it impressive for about the first 20 minutes, and from there wasn't inclined at all to play it again.

7 / PS2 / Spider-Man: The Movie / Activision / Apr '02 / $45

Let's face it... This game is just plain crap, and only sold well based on the advertising blitz following the movie -_-

8 / PS2 / Kingdom Hearts / Square EA / Sept '02 / $49

This one easily should have sold better than most others above it, and that's even though I haven't played it. It's got creative game all over it, and maybe it's a bit chipper for my style ( I boycott the game due to a blatant lack of Tifa btw) I still agree with it's sales more or less.

9 / Xbox / Halo / Microsoft / Nov '01 / $48

And we leave the PS2 section and come to Halo which one over Mario Sunshine, and although Halo had more within the year compare release dates to Mario Sunshine, and account for the fact that most people buy a game at it's release.

10 / GC / Super Mario Sunshine / Nintendo / Aug '02 / $49

Didn't enjoy it at all, and saw no real reason to keep it, but it just goes to show that even the people who hated it still bought it.

All in all I've contributed to 6 of these, and was suprised not to see MGS2 in there as well as Smash Bros

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2909760,00.html

AlexMax
01-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Super Mario Sunshie was beaten by Halo, but Halo had been around the entire year and SMS the later part of the year. Which I'm fine with, because frankly, I'm not planning on buying Super Mario Sunshine inthe near future.

There are lots of spots fans, so that explains Madden. Grand Turismo 3 is actually a very, very good game, and once you figure out what a 'line' is, driving becomes more like a precision artform. Or something.

I was also surprised that Mario Advance 2 ranked so highly. Not to mention that it was a no-frills version of Super Mario World, a game I've beaten the absolute hell out of.

Kingdom Hearts...well...I'm still unsure if I should get it. I never finish any RPG I start anyway.

Medal of Honor Frontline was ok...I guess...but needed something more than a tacked on Deathmatch.

As for Spider-Man...it was an alright platformer that was wayyyyyy too short. Needed more than a movie licencec to make it better.

And that's my analysis.

Denium
01-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
I'd also be lying if I said I agreed with the PS2's overall strangle hold on the industry... Seeing Spider Man the movie in there all but makes me want to puke and Madden has yet again proven to me that the masses have little to know interest in an interesting game -_-

They see something in it that you don't. Big fucking deal. You wouldn't have said shit if it was the Xbox versions of Spiderman and Madden.

Didn't enjoy it at all, and saw no real reason to keep it, but it just goes to show that even the people who hated it still bought it.

YOU didn't enjoy it. You don't speak for the entire country.

Cronic
01-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Your constant attempst to pick at my opinions are amusing, but I'm growing weary of them... As soon as I state that my opinions are that of America you may call me on it.

vegeta1215
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Do you plan on posting console/game sales every week? It's getting annoying, and I for one don't care about anyone's sales.

ShyGuy0824
01-30-2003, 11:02 PM
I dunno DC...

You can't diss Madden and Spiderman for selling well...If anything that's a good thing because it means that there are a lot more casual gamers, as although the games were not superbly great, they were good and appealed to a bunch of people. My little brother seems to like it, and whether he'd like it more than say Sly Cooper is fine as he likes it anyways.

and yeah, Halo discrepancy is off by 8 months, but Halo does have the most staying power of the XBOX games...

And isn't it funny how a game released only two months ago is on top while the game it's based on was released a year ago and is number 2?

Cronic
01-31-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
Do you plan on posting console/game sales every week? It's getting annoying, and I for one don't care about anyone's sales.

Monthly and yearly actually... Annoying? Maybe, but I put up with a lot of annoying shit on these boards and so can you ;)

Beldaran
01-31-2003, 03:20 AM
Spiderman was a fun game.

It was definately more of a renter,
but it was fun nonetheless.

And Madden 2003 is fun too.

vegeta1215
01-31-2003, 05:16 PM

Monthly and yearly actually... Annoying? Maybe, but I put up with a lot of annoying shit on these boards and so can you ;)

Yep, I can't argue with that, there is alot of annoying stuff on the boards.

Cronic
01-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215

Yep, I can't argue with that, there is alot of annoying stuff on the boards.

Now let me ask this... do you plan on interupting a discussion to bitch about the threads premise each time I do? Some people are interested in this.

vegeta1215
01-31-2003, 11:23 PM

Now let me ask this... do you plan on interupting a discussion to bitch about the threads premise each time I do? Some people are interested in this.

This is the first I've said anything about your posts. But I don't want to argue with you, it's not worth it.

Anyways, I'm surprised there aren't more GBA games on that list, I mean, Mario Advance? Is that really what everyone buys?

If you can dig up a console sale charts (not games but actual systems, including GBA)from the US, Japan, and elsewhere, I'd be interested in seeing that.

Cronic
02-01-2003, 12:01 AM
I'll see what I can do on that one.