PDA

View Full Version : Freeform Dungeons

Cloral
01-30-2003, 12:24 AM
From what I understand, checking the 'freeform dungeons' rule makes it so that the old 'edge grid' isn't there - meaning that Link can move freely along the edges of the screen. Also, the edge no longer overlap on top of Link, meaning that if you do have doors you have to make sure they are 'overhead' combos so that Link will actually appear to walk under them. Is this all true, and are there any other reprecussions to using them? For instance, does Link still walk the full 2 spaces in from the edge whenever you go to a new screen?

I really think it would be nice BTW to have a 'no wall' door type. It wouldn't show up as anything, but it would keep Link from walking inwards 2 spaces seeing as there would be no door on that side. Also, it would show up on the map as a door (in other words, if there were 2 'no wall' door types in adjacent rooms, they would appear on the map to be connected - something that does not happen with the 'wall' type) to help keep the map looking correct.

C-Dawg
01-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Abandon the old methods, Cloral. A few design changes can make Dungeon dmaps pretty darn obsolete now; use caves instead. To the extent that you need dungeon dmaps for the purpose of temporary secrets or shutters, just sidewarp the player in. It does require some more thoughtful design... but it solves your problem.

-C

idontknow
01-30-2003, 02:33 PM
yes, cloral...you're exactly right in the sense that freeform dungeons do still force Link to walk 2 tiles out from the edge when he enters a screen...this is done so that you could have functional shutters that force Link through it and then close behind it because without this property, Link would stay at the very edge of the screen upon entering the screen, thus the shutter would close on it...therefore, this property is good for many reasons, however, it looks sloppy in freeform dungeons when Link isn't actually passing through a door; so, i suggest that there be a screen flag to correct this, not a quest rule; because you do need this for shutters...also, C-Dawg, by using the cave dmap type, auto door combos would not work, including shutters, thus, you could not have any shutters for your cave!