PDA

View Full Version : Bumping Ancient Threads (split from 1000 WORDS MARATHON)

Armageddon Games
01-29-2003, 06:46 AM
The first half of this thread can be found here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?threadid=3694)

goKi
01-29-2003, 06:46 AM
NaFe: I know you arent here often, and probably arent familiar about digging up old topics.. its not really a strict rule of the boards, but its kinda frowned upon. Ill leave this thread open anyway, unless im told to do otherwise.

inori
01-29-2003, 07:25 AM
[reads thread]
[blinks]
[wonders how in holy hell this got dug up]
[wonders how in holy hell it wasn't closed as spam the first time]
[considers closing thread]
[can't come up with a real excuse to close thread, other than the odor of spam]
[considers whether the aroma of spam justifies a closing]
[realizes it would be wasted effort anyway as someone would just dig up some other thread]
[swears to self about members who resurrect 18-month-old threads without checking post dates]
[wonders whether SB can write a hack that automatically closes threads with no replies in 30 days or so]

There you have it, the moderational process in a nutshell.

Shadowblazer
01-29-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't think having them automatically get closed would be necessary, but a warning message might do the trick. A JavaScript popup along the lines of "Notice: This thread has not been replied to in the past <insert reasonable time here>. It is generally preferable that you create a new thread rather than reply to one so old. If you are absolutely certain that you wish to proceed, click OK. Otherwise, click cancel."

Hmm, that's a lot more work than just making it so that you can't reply though ;) And you know, I can't think of a really really good reason for the average member to need to be able to bump ancient topics. It shall be done.

(There you have it, the developmental process in a nutshell. :D )

Ich
01-29-2003, 01:05 PM
How about the bump from voting in an old poll? Can we have a "Close poll 30 days after last reply to topic" hack?

AtmaWeapon
01-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by inori

[wonders how ... it wasn't closed as spam the first time]

It was Shaden. I got the feeling from when he was around he had somewhat of a knack for such things. Back when AGN was small, you could do crazy stuff like that. It just doesn't work out on a larger forum.

Brian
01-29-2003, 05:13 PM
I coulden't quite tell, SB- are you making the java warning or restricting posts that have not been replied to in 30 days?

Personally I would prefer the warning, or at least something longer then 30 days- 30 days really isn't all that long sometimes, especially on forums that don't get all that many new topics.

Samson007
01-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Please note that Rammstein puts 69 in bold. :laughing:

stormwatcheagle
01-29-2003, 05:56 PM
1000 words

...what?

AlexMax
01-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Shadyblazer! Bloody brilliant!

<DDR>

LEGEND! YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!!111

</DDR>

goKi
01-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
1000 words

...what?

That borders on spam, SWE.. can we just let this topic die, kthx.

Shadowblazer
01-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Brian, give me an example of when a reply to a 30-day-old post is more appropriate than a new thread and I'll consider doing the java warning ;)

BTW, I'm planning on making the limit configurable on a forum by forum basis... so if there is a forum where such things happen regularly, and with good cause, the limit can be extended to two months or a year or whatever.

stormwatcheagle
01-30-2003, 05:12 PM
The problem is, I always her people say "Why didn't ypu just say that in _______ thread?" It get's annoying to hear people conterdict themselves.

Shadowblazer
01-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by stormwatcheagle
The problem is, I always her people say "Why didn't ypu just say that in _______ thread?" It get's annoying to hear people conterdict themselves. You don't generally see people say that regarding threads that were posted over a month ago. Days, maybe... but if you have to go back 5 pages to find the thread in question, you're probably better off just starting a new one.

Brian
01-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shadowblazer:
Brian, give me an example of when a reply to a 30-day-old post is more appropriate than a new thread and I'll consider doing the java warning

Well, here is the type of thing I was thinking of:
http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=766615#post766615
Its a topic asking how much of an impact Rock Bottom has for you. Its a little over 30 days but its not burried in the list, and a reply now would be just as valid as when it came out.

But those are somewhat uncommon, and the idea of configuring it different for each forum sounds good, so whatever you decide on is fine.

Axel
01-31-2003, 09:09 AM
can someone please explain the first post of this to me?