PDA

View Full Version : 2 GB Harddrive Limitation

Draconis
01-29-2003, 09:04 PM
I have an old computer that has a 40GB harddrive in it and it has to partition it into 20, 2 GB partitions to use all the drive's space. Where can I get info or how can I upgrade my system so it can have larger partitions so I don't have so many partitions on my harddrive?

:confuse2:

:nerd:

goKi
01-29-2003, 09:11 PM
you do it yourself, first of all,. you will have to format all the drivers, then delete the partitions, by booting into DOS and running "FDISK". the 40gb hard drive may have been divided into 2gb partitions because sometimes older computers wont recognise a partition of 40gb. im sure there are tutorials everywhere.

EDIT - typo

inori
01-29-2003, 09:21 PM
http://www.ecotton.com/kbase/Idi_kb/FAT_NTFS.htm

Ganonator
01-29-2003, 10:30 PM
make sure your system meets the requirements of the 32G limit. I bought an 80GB one, and it took forever to get it to recognize partitions greater than 32GB

Draconis
01-29-2003, 10:45 PM
My current computer has the 2 GB limitation. I need to know how to overcome this problem on my CURRENT computer via software or hardware.

goKi
01-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Read up on that article that inori posted. it explains the file systems, and why you may be limited to 2gb partitions.

Quote:
FAT or FAT16 (File Allocation Table)

Available under DOS and Windows (95, 98, NT).

Size limitations

Under DOS and early versions of Windows 95, partition size is limited to 2 gigabytes. Under Windows NT, maximum partition size is 4 gigabytes.

im guessing that your drive would be a FAT or FAT16..

Draconis
01-29-2003, 10:56 PM
If the drive was formatted FAT32 and had a Windows 98 operating system, would that allow me to have partitions greater than 2GB?

goKi
01-29-2003, 11:02 PM
definately... i was running 98 with a 20gb partition when i had 98.

fatcatfan
01-29-2003, 11:03 PM
What OS do you want to use? The FAT type isn't a property of the drive, it is dependant on how the dive is formatted. In other words, it's a choice. In general you've got FAT,FAT16,FAT32,and NTFS for the Windows family. I dunno what all Linux has. FAT32 should be able to handle up to near 40GB. The problem instead might be your *BIOS*. If your BIOS doesn't support a large drive, you'll need to use a BIOS overlay such as Maxtor's EZ Drive. However, I think Windows XP can work independant of the BIOS. Win98SE too, maybe. You just have to install from a boot floppy and CD, so that the drive can be formatted in the install process.

Draconis
01-29-2003, 11:04 PM
To goKi:

What were the system specs of that computer? This is so that I can compare it to my system's specifications.

Draconis
01-29-2003, 11:07 PM
To fatcatfan:

I did use a BIOS overlay program to install this harddrive. What options would I need to set to allow partitions bigger than 2GB?

Sorry about the double posts.

Dark Nation
01-30-2003, 12:08 AM
If you are using a BIOS overlay program (usually included with the hard drive), then the only thing holding you back is the filesystem. Win98SE can use FAT32. WinNT4 can use NTFS. Win2000 and WinXP can use both. FAT(FAT16) is where your 2GB limit is coming from.

Flash Man
01-30-2003, 12:11 AM
BIOS overlays like Maxtor's EZ Drive are not the best choice on older computers. I was working on an old packard bell and was using that and it totally fucked the bios up with the hard drive part. Would not recognize above 508mb.

I would suggest using your current BIOS and do the rest before updating your BIOS or using a BIOS overlay. First off you have 20 2gb partitions, to format the hard drive to FAT32 you need to run the FAT32 Converter that comes with Windows. It should be in start/programs/accessories/system/FAT32 Converter. There are other programs to use such as Partition Magic which is very nice but costs money.

Next you'll have to get a boot disk and boot to it and run fdisk in DOS. Or if you do get Partition Magic you can run it in windows and then restart after modifying what i'll be saying. While in FDISK you need to delete the extra partitions and leave the main one. If you choose to run FDISK you will have to delete your main one if you want to make it larger, but with Partition Magic you can just resize.

If you delete the main one you have to reinstall your OS, but you don't have an OS on a CD then i'd suggest either making a larger partition with two of them or purchasing another program such as Partition Magic.

If it still doesn't show up properly then you should go into the bios and see if the BIOS supports LBA, on some older boards they didn't use standards and you might have to use CHS which is what I had to do on that old packard bell.

If it doesn't be sure to find out what kind of motherboard and go to the manufacturers website and download a new BIOS. If you'd rather just use the BIOS overlay that could work but depending upon how old the motherboard is i'd go for a BIOS Flash.

Radium
01-30-2003, 01:50 AM
Yeah, just format the drive and install windows 95+ and that will solve your dilemma... you could use linux as well if you prefer. hehe I remember that 2MB limit when i first learned about that stuff lol that was a looooooooooong time ago! :o

fatcatfan
01-30-2003, 02:34 AM
Certainly a BIOS Flash would be better, but generally if a computer's BIOS is so old that is doesn't support LBA, it came before Flashable BIOSes. That was the case with the PC I'm using this very minute.

goKi
01-30-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Draconis
To goKi:

What were the system specs of that computer? This is so that I can compare it to my system's specifications.

Celeron 900mhz, 128mb RAM, 20gb hard disk.

EDIT: I should mention that its been upgraded to 640mb of RAM, and Windows XP. The hard disk is still formatted FAT32.

Mystery-Q
01-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Wow I'm surprised no one mentioned this. It's rare with HDD's under 40GB but you may need to change the positions of jumpers on the HDD it self. Alot of new ones need this to tell the BIOS to read more than 32GB. Also it may be possible to flash the HDD. Do us all a favor if you havn't got it yet. Post the Brand of both the HDD and motherboard you are using. And if it comes down to it, don't worry about "buying" partition magic or any utility for that matter. IRC!!! That's a;; you need to know.

Ich
01-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Fat 32 as a bonus has smaller File Allocation Tables and take up less space, in addition to making you able to make larger partitions. We have a 15 GB HD, partitioned to about 7 and 8. C: for programs, D: for music and movies.

Draconis
01-30-2003, 12:22 PM
I do not have the specs on me at this time but by Friday at the least and monday at the maximum, I should be able to get the proper specifications posted.

To Mystery-Q:
I have never heard of something such as that...

... unless you mean the cable select on some newer harddrives.

My computer system specs are:

133 or 166 mHz
48 megs of memory
40GB harddrive.

These aren't the brand & motherboard specs, they are just the general system specs.

Thanx guys, I finally figured out how to combine the partitions together to create a few large ones.

The computer had originally for partitions:

C & E-U: ~2GB partitions
D: ~1GB drive (seperate drive)

It now has:

C, E, and F: ~2GB partitions
G-J: ~5.75 to 6GB partitions
K: ~ a 7.25 GB partition.

(All these numbers are guesses because I am not looking at the computer currently.)