PDA

View Full Version : Sucks to be AOL

Warlock
01-29-2003, 06:34 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030129/wr_nm/media_aoltimewarner_earns_dc_2

NEW YORK (Reuters) - AOL Time Warner Inc. (NYSE:AOL - news), the world's largest media company, on Wednesday posted a fourth-quarter net loss after taking a $45.5 billion noncash charge for the decline in the value of its embattled America Online business and other assets.

The company reported a net loss of $44.9 billion, or $10.04 a share, after the charge, compared to a year-ago loss of $1.8 billion, or 41 cents a share.

Haha.. maybe people are finally starting to realize how much AOL sucks ass :D

The Savior
01-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Holy shit, that's a lot of cash, lol.

Masamune
01-29-2003, 06:38 PM
lol... my both my older bro and my friend had aol and decided to cancel it. both times aol begged them to not and said they'd give them another 1000 free hours. my brother of course got pissed and yelled. "FINE! I'LL CALL BACK IN ANOTHER 40 DAYS ASSHOLE!" and my friend's parents got billed extra because they never put another 1000 free hours on their account or something...

Fiyerstorm
01-29-2003, 08:19 PM
/me stares at his AOL Welcome Screen.

:B

At least I got my kitty cat smileys. :B

I don't pay for AOL, my oldest sister does and she said next time AOL raises the price, she's gonna cancel it and get Cable Broadband. I patiently wait.

JayeM
01-29-2003, 08:40 PM
My son will be glad to hear that...he used to work for them and they're assholes.

Beldaran
01-29-2003, 08:41 PM
eh, it sucked to be AOL long before they started losing money.:)

Dart Zaidyer
01-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Sadly, you'll never hear this news on television, because AOL still has quite a chokehold on the bigwig reporters.

Warlock
01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Hehe, I'm just glad they have (as far as I can tell) stopped %#$@ shoving those damn AOL disks in my face every @$@# month.. god those were annoying. Actually, the 3.5 floppies were nice. I just formatted them and I never had to buy floppies! hahaha.. but then they did CDs and they were completely worthless (not to mention no one uses floppies anymore anyways :D)

Anyways, does anyone remember when a bunch of their servers crashed or something (I don't remember exactly what happened) and everyone had shitty ass connections for a couple months? I remember that Simpsons opening where they mocked AOL with their computerized couch scene.. "Loading Family......." and after like a minute of sitting there the guy goes and repeatedly clicks cancel :D hahaha.. that was great.

Ganonator
01-29-2003, 10:32 PM
i've had aol for over 3 years, and the service has been just great. Of course, my family lived outside of the Cable and DSL zones, so AOL was the only thing possible. At least AIM is free....

Warlock
01-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention.. have you guys seen their new commercial? That line always cracks me up:

"Now with Google for faster searching"

Hahaha.. For those too stupid to type in www.google.com, we have now integrated it for you! hahaha..

Ich
01-30-2003, 12:30 AM
We're going to get rid of it the first chance we get for DSL or something. And Consumer Reports says it is "the service with the highest number of subscribers, and the lowest user satisfaction." And it's aol (they don't deserve capital letters) sucks, not sucks to be aol.

Axel
01-30-2003, 08:48 AM
I hate that AoL's got the choke hold down here. they bought the cable company that was providing broadband service. so now they control the comercials and all the internet access...

Verman
01-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Heres something else interesting about AOL:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,840980,00.asp

heheheh stupid bastards.

BebyGoku
01-30-2003, 12:07 PM
HAHAH my god aol is stupid. My grandma has it and its the slowest thing in the world......but then again im used to cable with a T2 connection. But i think aol blows so im glad to see them lose money.

Draconis
01-30-2003, 12:40 PM
I agree. When we used to have aol, like 5-6 YEARS ago, we used to try to get on and then it would kick us off because there were 'too many users' or some such trash. So we went with a local internet provider 'Acronet'. Url is: 'www.acronet.net'

The thing that sucks is TimeWarner Cable is the only broadband connection around my area and it costs about $45.00!?!

That is a rip-off!!!

Breaker
01-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Another interesting thing, Steve Case resigned from chairman of AOL Time Warner. I'm guessing this had a big part in his decision to do so.

Clueless Blonde
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
With the exception of thier Instant Messaging, I've always hated AOL's service.
It's no suprise that they're losing so much money. If a company doesn't have the ability to take care of its own customers, then it can only go downhill.

I-Man
01-31-2003, 10:58 PM
I hate aol. Its the fastest 56k service in my area though, and cable is 50 bucks a month. I dont even have the option for DSL. I think Ill be stuck forever with aol.

KINGOFALLME2
02-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Yeah...AOL sucks as much as my life does......but that's a whole notha story. Plus onaa thier comericial actually makes an excuse why it's slow....for people who use dial-up, that is.

Drunken Tiger
02-01-2003, 02:36 AM
Does anyone know if AOL has anything to do with Australia Online??