PDA

View Full Version : Importing individual tiles

Freedom
01-29-2003, 01:36 AM
Importing individual tiles
(version 190)

How is this done?
I know how to import whole pages, but I'd like to swap a few out.
what I tried was to go into the BSzelda example and click on the tile I wanted press "c" to copy and then exit and reopen the quest and tile page I wanted to move it to and press "v" to paste.

The insruction manual says this is how it's done, but it doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I just want to swap out a few of the sand and grass tiles.

I'm using the graphics from the revenge2 quest.

:O)

Ganonator
01-29-2003, 12:05 PM
2 suggestions for you

first, upgrade to a newer version.
second, export tiles from that set using File > Export > Tiles, then in the quest you want to copy them to, open up the tile pages, and do a tile grab from that file.

i'm pretty sure you can do this in 1.90

Freedom
01-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Is the 190 not a good version?
I have the 182-163 but haven't run it yet.
I was reading all the complaints about betas giving folks trouble so figured the 190 would be a better choice.

Also, any idea why the two revenge quests work for a while then the sound disappears and then when I exit I'm stuck in dos and have to shut the computer off and reboot to get back up and running?
other quests seem to work fine.
I'm running windows 98 with an e-machine 400 MHz & 64MB ram and have about 2 1/2 gigs free on the hard drive.

on to the tiles, if I import a whole page, won't it overwrite the ones I have in there now?
this is what happened when I tried it in a test-quest.

*edit
I just noticed a post from "Idontknow" also telling someone else to get a newer version then the 190, guess that needs to be the game plan before I put many more hours in this quest. :O)

Freedom
02-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Bump...
back up where it will be seen :O)
I've gotten the importing the tiles down ok, but the colors are wrong.
how do you get the colors to match what they were on the gif or bitmap?
I was trying a few lttp tile into the quest that has revenge 2 tiles, but I also tried some newfirst which are in many cases the same tiles.
I ran the (+ and -) up and down through the colorsets but the colors I needed would never match up.

when you push on the PAL button in the editor they look perfect

any ideas?

C-Dawg
02-01-2003, 02:29 AM
A wise man once said "Zquest is not some magical program that can figure out what palette you want for every tile."

Remember Zquest displays only 256 colors, in 16 Csets of 16 colors each. If you import tiles from a 16-bit color gif (this is very important) Zquest WILL accurately know which colors are DIFFERENT in the imported tiles... but it doesnt know what color they are. If you want it to display in an existing palette, just recolor it.

If you really want to get the imported tile in it's starting color, that's possible as long as it was from a 16-bit color gif or bmp. You need to go to your Level palettes and import the palette. To do this, make a copy of the Level Palette you want to use on the same screen as the tiles you are importing. Then go to that Level palette (the COPY, not the original) and click on Csets 1,2,3, or 9. (The first four.) Then click on the "Grab" button. Go to the same file you ripped from and start ripping palettes. You'll have to try a bunch of them, it's not always clear which palette goes with which sprites.

-C

Freedom
02-01-2003, 01:04 PM
C-Dawg,
Thanks for the response, still a little over my head.
I copy/pasted your response into a notepad with the rest of my notes, I'm still pretty new at this.

according to my PSP the LTTP tiles are 16 color (4 bit).

I will keep playing with it some more to see if I can figure out what you're talking about :O)

I have a testquest just for experimenting with so I won't screw up my quest.

Thanks