PDA

View Full Version : I'm pissed!

Erasul
01-28-2003, 12:35 PM
I was playing Phantasy Star Online on my Gamecube (online) and all of a sudden "Disk Read Error, Check Gamecube Instruction Manual". I take the disc out, look at it, not a scratch, hair or anything, put it back in. It works fine for thirty seconds then the error again. I try this about 10 times, then I put Metroid Prime in. I play that for about 30 seconds then the error comes up. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with my Gamecube and it just happened all of a sudden. I tried blowing out the inside of the Gamecube and everything. Last thing I tried was wiping the lens off with a Q-tip. What do I do?

Petoe
01-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Something must be really badly wrong with your GC. My friend had a same kind of problem, but he solved it by cleaning the lens somehow. I have disk read errors myself quite often when playing Eternall Darkness, but that's because of the game.

Ok, this didn't probably help at all. Maybe you just should have your Gamecube repaired. :shrug:

Mak-X
01-28-2003, 01:28 PM
I got the same thing and sent my Gamecube in to be replaced (still hasn't arrived yet...) and got another Gamecube for Christmas. I think a really scratched up and load consuming Harry Potter game by EA games is what killed my last Gamecube. On the new Gamecube, I got the error message again when playing Medal of Honor: Frontline, another game by EA games with load screens, while playing multiplayer and got the error.

It must be something with early Gamecubes since I had the same problem, maybe its over use or just worn out. Call up Nintendo immediately for help and see if your warrenty is up. If your warrenty just expired, try to see if you can get it extended and explain you haven't had any problems up until now. Nintendo will seend FedEX or UPS out to pick up your Gamecube and supposedly send you back a replace ment in about a week.

Thunderbird
01-28-2003, 01:45 PM
I've heard that PS2's get this a lot. Try cleaning the laser or something (a Q-Tip should work fine if you can get to the laser itself). Some people have cleaned their PS2 lasers with a Q-Tip and they magically started reading the discs again. At least you only have one laser to worry about ;).

Beldaran
01-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I feel compelled to point out that people yelled at me about how my Xbox was going to overheat, explode, eat me, grow to 3 times it's normal size, burn down my house and give my microwave the blue screen of death, yet I haven't had any problems with it.

All electronic equipment runs into bugs every once and a while, even Nintendo equipment. I'm sure you'll be able to get it repaired.

Erasul
01-28-2003, 01:56 PM
"Last thing I tried was wiping the lens off with a Q-tip."

I've had it since Christmas 2001. This is the first time anything's happened to it. It's FREEZING in my room, I don't know if that could have anything to do with it, lol.

Thunderbird
01-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Sorry bout that, I miss things sometimes ;).

The laser is still to blame if it is failing to read good discs. I don't know what you can do about it though, aside from a repair shop.

MottZilla
01-28-2003, 05:53 PM
If it is below 32 Degrees F or 0 C do NOT run it. Really, you room should be above 50F but below 90F I think.

Anyway, most systems, Xbox, PS2, GC, the initial batch of systems has a larger amount of defective units than their later batches.

The fact is atleast 80% of users, if they take care of their system, it won't have any probs.

Mak-X
01-28-2003, 07:01 PM
I got my Gamecube Dec 25, 2001 and had that problem a week before last Christmas, Dec 25, 2002. My system was taken care of fine, it just must have burnt out from being a early model.

Rijuhn
01-28-2003, 10:38 PM
My GCN runs fine but I got it Jan 14th 2002 from K-Mart, so they probably have already sold 10 shipment since I got mine. I also have the black GCN if that means anything. I've never had any GCN game freeze, or even skip, but that's because I treat my GCN better than most parents treat their babies.

Axel
01-29-2003, 08:48 AM
I got mine Christmas 2002. I haven't had any problems, but I'm still waiting for a decent game to grab my attention. so my brothers play it alot more than I do.

MottZilla
01-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
I got my Gamecube Dec 25, 2001 and had that problem a week before last Christmas, Dec 25, 2002. My system was taken care of fine, it just must have burnt out from being a early model.

That's likely the case. I got mine about the same time I believe. Mine is fine.

AlexMax
01-29-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
I feel compelled to point out that people yelled at me about how my Xbox was going to overheat, explode, eat me, grow to 3 times it's normal size, burn down my house and give my microwave the blue screen of death, yet I haven't had any problems with it.

I was about to say the same thing.

:blah: