PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with my DSL?

MottZilla
01-26-2003, 04:57 PM
I decided to post this here, incase anyone has any idea what is wrong with it.

A Couple days ago, I installed Windows XP, upgrading for Win98SE. I believe before installing my DSL was fine.

I uninstalled all the incompatable with XP software prior to upgrading, upgraded, got the internet working fairly fast. I "think" the internet was ok initially. But now.... downloads are really shitty. The get data in bursts rather than a fast ass stream like the used to.

This is really pissing me off. I figured it was my ISP. It still may be.

The odd thing is, my ping isn't that bad when I was playing ZSNES all last night. My ping was under 200msecs with my friend on cable. Lag was not really exsistant during the first part of the game. We had alittle more torwards the end, probably from him getting IMed to death.

And we played this for hours, so I'm pretty sure the ping is ok.

So.... ideas anyone? Have any idea what could be wrong? Any ideas of things to try to fix it? I'd like to avoid formating or reinstalling an OS.

obi
01-26-2003, 07:12 PM
In my experience, upgrading OS's is a no-go if possible and I have had problems, many problems, when I did just upgrade OS's, this could be one of them. :shrug:

slothman
01-26-2003, 11:40 PM
A couple a days ago from about 2 days only part of the internet worked for me. I could get to google but not here or most other sites. I have cable. I even looked up the IP addresses and it could find them. Like a whole leg of the web was broken. It's better now though.

Beldaran
01-27-2003, 12:13 AM
There was a huge virus that shut down massive parts of the internet the past couple of days. I saw it on the news. They have fixed it now.

Rijuhn
01-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Some of my favorite sites have been down for about 2 weeks, probably from that damn "worm" virus. I didn't think about it until I saw it on the news a few days ago, and my dad telling me about it. Some of the sites are still down so I'm wondering if they are still affected or have switched servers or url, but I doubt it.

I'll give the internet, as a whole, two more weeks before I assume anything other than the worm shit.