PDA

View Full Version : multiple locked doors a one screen

idontknow
01-26-2003, 03:42 PM
here's how you make more than one locked door (lock block) on one screen:

Make each part of the locked door combos that are underneath each other. Make the appropriate parts a lock block or lock block 2 combo. Then, combo each combo and place the identical parts next to one another. Then place the open door combos next to these....if i had a pick I could explain it much better, but I don't have a website with picks so I can't show any...
Lets say the doors will be facing North....here's what the doors should look like in the combo page:

1. Locked Door Combo-left Side 2. Same as 1 3. Open Door-left side
4. Locked door Combo-right Side 5. Same as 4 6. Open door-right side

I suggest that 4 be underneath 1, 5 under 2, and 6 under 3 but it doesn't really matter.

This scenario should really only be used when you are forced to go through one locked door before the other. Place combos 2 & 5 next to each other appropriately wherever desired. Then place combos 1 & 4 next to each other. Test this screen in zclassic!...

*with this method, combo 2 & 5, when unlocked will turn into 3 & 6 respectively (they are the next combos in the list). But since all lock blocks are activated at once, 1 & 4 will also change, into 2 & 5!....you could have as many lock block doors in a row as desired to have multiple doors; also, auto locked door combos activate seperate from lock block combos anyway...

How many locked doors can YOU make??? :) Test this out for yourself; first go through the door that uses combos 2 & 5.

Also, i'm not sure about this, but i think that if you were to go through a lock block who's next combo is also a lock block, then it would steal both keys from you, assuming you have at least 2 keys; if you don't, then it will prob take one key...therefore, you could theoretically make doors that require like 10 keys to open by making 10 lock block combos in a row!

fatcatfan
01-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Good thinking. Though I have sneaking suspicion some problems will be encountered with entering and leaving a room set up this way. One of two things will happen:

1. If you only unlock one lock-block door of this type, then leave and come back, all of them will be unlocked.

2. (this is more probable) After opening multiple such doors on one screen, upon return only the first will still be open.

The second possibility could actually be desirable for a door which always requires a key to be opened.

idontknow
01-26-2003, 05:45 PM
i had tried it before and i double checked this later (after posting this, of course) found that actually, it is fairly messed up...because it works like I mentioned...except when you leave & return, the second door "relocks"...i unlocked the door, left the room and yet again I returned and it relocked a second time...this is perhaps a bug, or just this sort of situation wasn't really thought through, so its not programed to correctly have 2 lock blocks in a row...hopefully, that would be fixed, DN ;) I guess this is sort of good if you want relocking doors, but I don't really see why you'd want to...

fatcatfan
01-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Right. That's exactly the second scenario which I expected. When you enter a room, the code checks to see if lock blocks in that room should be triggered. It determines "yes" and behaves as if the person had unlocked the first set - which then sets the second set as locked. The code does not store multiple triggers.

System Error
01-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
i had tried it before and i double checked this later (after posting this, of course) found that actually, it is fairly messed up...because it works like I mentioned...except when you leave & return, the second door "relocks"...i unlocked the door, left the room and yet again I returned and it relocked a second time...this is perhaps a bug, or just this sort of situation wasn't really thought through, so its not programed to correctly have 2 lock blocks in a row...hopefully, that would be fixed, DN ;) I guess this is sort of good if you want relocking doors, but I don't really see why you'd want to...

Maybe the enemies see that it is unlocked, get pissed, and re-lock it? :laughing:

idontknow
01-26-2003, 10:24 PM
um...no...hehe...i suggest that this be fixed so that there could be multiple levels of triggers...also, is it me, or does combo cycling not loop correctly...like i have a sequence of 12 combos, 11 of them look like regular floor tiles and 1 looks like a trap above the floor tile with a damage combo...i set the next for each combo appropriately so i could make a "circular" trap but it seems like when it gets through the end of the sequence and the last combo in the series should go back to the first but doesn't...also, when you set the animation speed above 10, the combo cycling doesn't work at all? what gives?

TheGeepster
01-26-2003, 10:44 PM
So if you had a lockblock and a locked door, unlocking the lockblock unlocks the door?

fatcatfan
01-26-2003, 10:58 PM
I started to post saying that multiple lockblock triggering would be difficult to implement, but now I've changed my mind. By storing the flag as a number rather than just a boolean, ZC could know how many times to trigger lock blocks. Each time you unlock a lock block, ZC would increment that flag, so when you return to the screen, it would know how many times to trigger.

I'll discuss it with DN. I'm sure it's doable, but it's up to him whether it will be put in.

idontknow
01-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Hey Geepster, unlock a lock block just makes it so that that combo goes to the next combo in the list, and no it does not unlocked locked doors...in fact, if you go to tools-->doors and set a locked door, and then put a lock block on the screen, both are locked seperately & are entirely independent of one another, in fact, the door combo does not even have to be a lock block combo; you'll prob notice this if you're using a graphics pack you got from the internet...the doors, by default, are not lock block combos...also, i think the tools-->data menu should have more doors set like so:
_[]_[]_[]
[]_____[]
[]_____[]
_[]_[]_[]

Thus, you could have 3 symetric doors on the top & bottom, that fit perfectly and 2 symetric doors on the left & right...thus, would be so much better...especially for "off center shutters".

Verbatim
01-27-2003, 03:31 PM
If you mistakenly set up your doorset to use lock-block combos...it might unlock when you unlocked a lock block...or it might change to looking unlocked but still take a key...

Basically, never use LB combos for locked doors, it'll cause one bug or another. You've probably noticed, though, that you can only have locked doors in the center of the wall...you can fake a locked door at another location by using lock-blocks.

I like that re-locking door trick...I may use that...

fatcatfan
01-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Well, if we code it to allow this sort of "lock block chaining" which IDK has proposed, the relocking door trick won't work. So you might wait to see what we decide before putting that in your quest.

-=[EDIT]=-
Actually, I've just looked at the code again, and this flag is stored as a single bit in a bit-flag "array". So while it could be moved to its own place, I don't think it'll happen. So for now assume that lock block chaining like this will not be possible.

idontknow
01-27-2003, 04:22 PM
DAMN IT!!! i dont see why it wouldn't work; i mean, don't you agree that it would be useful?...i guess somethings i will never know about computer programming...

fatcatfan
01-27-2003, 05:08 PM
It's still something quite easy to do in concept, but would require restructuring internal screen flags. DN has the final say, but this is what I expect his answer to be.